Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to replace the axle seals and put a locker in my nova and the cross pin was seized in the carrier....we got it out (needs new pin and bolt now ) what would cause this and where can I find a new one?? Its a 10 bolt 8.2 28 spline.
thanks

Jared
[email protected]

G

·
Re: cross pin seized in carrier....what caused this?

here ya go... Miles'll hook ya up with new parts... if that's yer pleasure... i bought my gears from him, a good guy ta deal with ;)

Valley Differentials
209-467-4301
[email protected]

he's a member here i believe, and at Steve's :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah I was talking to Miles on steve's site, but now that the site is down I havent been able to check to see if he had replied or not. I will prolly just give him a call tomm. Thanks for all the quick replies guys.

Jared

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The bolt that holds the carrier pin came out with the end broke off in it. I was able to drill the end of the carrier pin and get the rest of the bolt of the the carrier. We then tried to push the pin out. It would move a little then it would stick. Well I tried working it back and forth but it would bind in one area. Since the pin is now messed up from the drilling I just decided to get the plasma out and cut the pin out. I was able to get the pin out in three pieces. I cleaned up the holes in the carrier that the pin goes in and got them pretty smooth. I was able to take part of the pin that I cut out and it slide smoothly in both of the carrier holes. I also checked out the thrust washers on the side gears and there is no sign of wear or discoloration from heat. The carrier still looks to be in good shape. So hopefully I will be able to get a new pin and install the locker. I just have to track down a pin, all the ones I find are back ordered two weeks. I got one ordered but if I can find someone who has one I would buy it and cancel my order.

Jared

·
Registered
2 Posts

WHAT CAUSED THIS YOU ASKED???

Burn outs cuase that kind of problem. If you get one tire spinning really fast it starts to weld the pinion spiders to the shaft. Once they groove it good and get stuck on it it snaps the lock bolt off. Most of the time it will egg out the carrier cross pin hole as well so be sure to check it w/a new pin before running it.

Miles.

G

·

Aw C'Mon Miles !!! gotta be some other demon 'er sumpin' !!! everyone know's it's like Heaven doin' Smokey Burn-Outs !!!

Just Kidding ;) :D

Thanks Miles, i didn't know if the post he had mentioned was a lost one from the changeover... so i sent ya the message.

Respectfully,

John :D

and Welcome to Team NOVA !!! check 'er out, a nice place also ... lotsa members here who're diggin' both Sites :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hey guys thanks for all your responses. After a lot of searching I was able to find one locally. I now know what causes the carrier pin to weld to the spider gear.

thanks again,

Jared

1 - 11 of 11 Posts