Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the 5 lug conversion and CPP Mini subframe on my 63 and now it's sitting up like a gasser. I have loosened the cam bolts and set it back on the ground and still the same thing. Here are some pics of where I'm at right now. This is starting to worry me.

Passenger side with cam bolts loosened and sitting on the ground. The jack has no weight on it.

Driver side with everything tightened up. Same height as the passenger side.

I used the black bolts with the cam shaped washers but what are these pieces for?

I'm at my wits end with this thing and I'm contemplating pulling the whole thing out but that's a lot of work. Any suggestions. Oh and BTW I used the 5 lug drum system on the car for now due to budget constraints. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Which springs do you have in the front end and what engine do you have in it now?

Take a look at some pics of the stock set-up on other cars, you will be suprized that some have a stance like that. And, if possible, could you take a pic from the side, at a distance, to see how much of a problem we have.

As for those spare parts, those octagons with the holes are the lock-out kit that sits in the same spots as those cams and by setting them on the "flats", it gives the driveline shop a way of adjusting the front end to make it track right. I am uncertain if CPP has upgraded the "round" cams on those bolts to withstand the adjustments needed while alligning the car. JR , Big Dave might have further info on this....

·
Registered
284 Posts
hi jeff,
something is definately wrong.my ragtop sits mucho lower than that(i also have 2" drop spindles) with stock v8 springs.call cpp.they are very good about tech support and frequent this site and others.
good luck,
leftcoast carl.

G

·
what about the nuts for the A arm bushings... are they loose ??? if they're tight the bushings will be in a bind holding the car off the ground like that.

are the springs new or used ??? are they properly seated in the upper seats and on the saddles ???

from what i can see yer car's lookin' pretty nice, other than the stance that is but that'll get handled shortly i'm sure ;)

Johnny

G

·
so did you check the upper/lower control arm bushing nuts ???

if the control arm's tightened down the bushings will be in a bind. when it was jacked up for installation everything's hanging down, with everything tighten up and the bushings will be wanting to twist as much as they can under the weight of the car... but they'll still hold the car up...

jack it back up, loosen all nuts holding bushings tight, lower car, let it sit under it's own weight (maybe bounce on it a couple times to settle) and THEN tighten the control arm/bushing nuts ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before swapping wheels mine used to sit higher in the front but NOT that much...

Did you do both the lower and upper arms? How did it sit before you installed the kit?

somebody once said that when doing backyard alignments to loosen the cam bolts and move the car back and fourth in the driveway to let things settle and then adjust it...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. The cam bolts are loose. I am working on getting the rear end in so I can roll it and see if that works. I've also been told that the way the back half of the car is on jacks may play a big roll because I'm taking the weight off of the front.

G

·
so did you check the upper/lower control arm bushing nuts ???

if the control arm's tightened down the bushings will be in a bind. when it was jacked up for installation everything's hanging down, with everything tighten up and the bushings will be wanting to twist as much as they can under the weight of the car... but they'll still hold the car up...

jack it back up, loosen all nuts holding bushings tight, lower car, let it sit under it's own weight (maybe bounce on it a couple times to settle) and THEN tighten the control arm/bushing nuts ;)

not the cam bolts (eccentrics)

the control arm bushing nuts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not the cam bolts (eccentrics)

the control arm bushing nuts
The only other thing there was the lower ball joint. The bushings were pressed in and the eccentrics and bolts just slid through the brackets on the crossmember and on the frame where my old control arms went. I only bought the lower control arm kit with the big metal crossmember. Am I missing something?

G

·
well it's an A-arm, right ??? so there's the eccentric on one side and a through bolt on the other that slides through the bracket/bushing/bracket on the back end of the a arm. if it was tightened up while the car was in the air (everything hanging down) then that one bolt/bushing could be in a bind.

i installed the complete CPP upper and lower a arms on my '65 and it sat like the car posted right above this post... well maybe a tad lower in the front as i has the lowering springs on it...

here's a shot of my Ol'65 "the JollyRodder"

i still think something was tightened while it was up in the air that should have been tightened after the car was sitting on it's wheels and something is in a bind... or something isn't put together correctly... but i don't really think that'd be it. i think something is binding it up...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the 5 lug conversion and CPP Mini subframe on my 63 and now it's sitting up like a gasser. I have loosened the cam bolts and set it back on the ground and still the same thing. Here are some pics of where I'm at right now. This is starting to worry me.

Passenger side with cam bolts loosened and sitting on the ground. The jack has no weight on it.

Driver side with everything tightened up. Same height as the passenger side.

I used the black bolts with the cam shaped washers but what are these pieces for?

I'm at my wits end with this thing and I'm contemplating pulling the whole thing out but that's a lot of work. Any suggestions. Oh and BTW I used the 5 lug drum system on the car for now due to budget constraints. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts