Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got a 63 convertible nova last year. well the first time I got it up on the lift the guys at the shop pointed out that the front frame rails had been....doctored up.
apparently this is a common thing for the front frame rails to rot out on the convertibles so someone got the bright idea to fill it in with spray foam and then hit it with some undercoating to hide it.

now i've tried to do some research on this. any other input/enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

would figure i'd take this to a frame shop and have them give me an estimate. what is something like this going to run me??

there isn't any sag that i noticed and the floor pans had a lil rust on the one side but solid. doors shut good. windows are a good fit to the top. no crazy gaps.

thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Chris Alston and of the aftermarket fabrication shops offer a complete full front to rear replacement frame that will have either racing struts or Mustang II front ends on them. They can allow your convertible to be bigger, stronger; better than before .... all for under six million dollars.

Of course these frames are just that, a foundation to build upon, but they are not going to be awarded any points at a judged car show if you are thinking restoration.

Big Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys!

so you're saying it's better to goto a welding fabricator rather then an auto body shop or frame shop?

and i'm just worried about structure and integrity of the frame. i'm keeping the original i6 in it just to keep it a cruiser with the top down kinda ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
need help with the area under the front of the front floorboard. so underneath it's the space in between where the door is and where the "frame rail" is. on each side. floors are solid tho.
any other "add on's" to make it more structurally secure??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone have pictures of what the area is "supposed" to look like? anyone ever done this repair have before and after pics??

looks like i'll be looking for a fabricator to figure something out. just trying to have some ideas before i get there just to make sure it gets done right.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
yellow dog, can you post pictures of the damaged/repaired area. I haven't yet had my vert up on a lift and it has 51 year old undercoating everywhere. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts