Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone my names Tanner! i just turned 19 i just joined the forum! .. and i'm crazy about novas i have 4 of them! a 62 chevy ii,74 apollo gsx. but since i'm posting on the 4th gen i'll just show you my two 4th gens.. i have a 77 concours...454...muncie 4 speed. and a 78 nova hatchback.. i plan on selling the 78 i put a lot of work into it and nothings went right kinda tired of it, so thats why i got the 77 heres a video of it http://youtu.be/1re4SOi-9qc Thanks guys:thumbsup: here's the 78.... after all this the engine messed up... http://youtu.be/_bARPPpIvFg

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Tanner!

Nice video work, and a nice car!

I see it has a 12 bolt under it as well as the BBC and Muncie four speed that where not available in 1977. Someone did a good job putting it together. Even has a factory A/C once you put a belt on it and find out why it is off. It could be out of Freon 12 after blowing a front seal; which is why Chevy never offered A/C with any car equipped with a solid cam shaft (that sewing machine clatter you hear when you crank it up is the gap used in a solid cam closing violently making it clack). Or because a solid cam allows it to twist higher than a solid cam will it just might have thrown a belt.

Big Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Team Tanner!

Nice video work, and a nice car!

I see it has a 12 bolt under it as well as the BBC and Muncie four speed that where not available in 1977. Someone did a good job putting it together. Even has a factory A/C once you put a belt on it and find out why it is off. It could be out of Freon 12 after blowing a front seal; which is why Chevy never offered A/C with any car equipped with a solid cam shaft (that sewing machine clatter you hear when you crank it up is the gap used in a solid cam closing violently making it clack). Or because a solid cam allows it to twist higher than a solid cam will it just might have thrown a belt.

Big Dave
Yeah it was just such a crazy find I had to buy it, you don't see very many 4th gens that someone has went to the trouble of putting a big block in it. The car came up for sell about a month ago I fell in love and got got cheap. It runs and drives like a dream..the guy that had it said he didn't do anything to car but have the Muncie completely rebuilt and had the rearend built with a 3.73 posi and all he did.was drive it every now and then. he put 1000 miles on it and he got it in .. 2005 it has 44.000 miles on the body and I'm not.sure on the engine he didn't know any specs.. but it runs.extremely well. And thats the first thing my dads friend said is "sounds like it has a solid lifters" but like i said I don't know anything about it. It has a edelbrock torker intake with the carb setting sideways haha its says its a 2.O so that means oval port intake. Now the ac I'm sure about the guy I got the car from said it didn't work so he didn't meas with it just took the.belt off he only drove it on nice days.. other then that it sat in the garage.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Chevy wrote an edict back in 1964 that banned A/C as an option on any solid lifter car because if you rev the A/C above 4,500 the seal heats up and burns out (not the first time or the second but do it often enough and you have a warranty repair). On Corvettes with hot hydraulic cams there is a sticker that says turn off the A/C on race day or something to that effect. This is from the days of mechanical tach drives before computer controlled cars.

Today the computer disengages the A/C compressor electronically when you hit 4,400 RPM and it doesn't come back on again until the RPM falls back to around 2,200 RPM. This preserves the seal and a warranty repair plus it gives you extra horsepower to accelerate that you can feel in the seat of your pants.

If you saw an A/C compressor on a CLONE or Tribute car that was claiming to be a solid lifter high horsepower optioned SS or Z/28 you knew that they bought a decal and not a Super Sport car (the exception to this rule is in the Impala that never got a high horse engine (once again their is an exception with the 425 horsepower 427SS Impala) regardless what the decal says and the SS package is just a trim package that includes bucket seats).

The early Chevy II and the Impala all offered SS cars as a trim option or as an actual separate model as they didn't have a true SS package of HD suspension, HD cooling, HD electric and HD brakes; though you could order all of these pieces if you wanted them and knew your way around an order sheet (or you bought an ex-police car with a "certified" speedometer that had everything a SS car wished it had, but not the taxi cab that a lot of police departments ordered that was a cop car as far as suspension cooling and brakes without the cop motor, or HD electric alternator and wiring to support the optional lighting and radios that cop cars have).

In the case of the Concours in 1977 (I have one myself) the only motor option was the 250 six, two barrel 305 or an anemic smog motored four barrel 350 with single exhaust only. No SS package was offered as everybody was laughing at those who paid extra for decals in the years following 1974, but not power due to the smog regulations and 1977 being a year after low lead was introduced without the option of premium fuel any more. Even the RS wasn't offered in 1977 (which was also only decals, with no parts upgrade) as 1976 was the last year for the RS.

Big Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chevy wrote an edict back in 1964 that banned A/C as an option on any solid lifter car because if you rev the A/C above 4,500 the seal heats up and burns out (not the first time or the second but do it often enough and you have a warranty repair). On Corvettes with hot hydraulic cams there is a sticker that says turn off the A/C on race day or something to that effect. This is from the days of mechanical tach drives before computer controlled cars.

Today the computer disengages the A/C compressor electronically when you hit 4,400 RPM and it doesn't come back on again until the RPM falls back to around 2,200 RPM. This preserves the seal and a warranty repair plus it gives you extra horsepower to accelerate that you can feel in the seat of your pants.

If you saw an A/C compressor on a CLONE or Tribute car that was claiming to be a solid lifter high horsepower optioned SS or Z/28 you knew that they bought a decal and not a Super Sport car (the exception to this rule is in the Impala that never got a high horse engine (once again their is an exception with the 425 horsepower 427SS Impala) regardless what the decal says and the SS package is just a trim package that includes bucket seats).

The early Chevy II and the Impala all offered SS cars as a trim option or as an actual separate model as they didn't have a true SS package of HD suspension, HD cooling, HD electric and HD brakes; though you could order all of these pieces if you wanted them and knew your way around an order sheet (or you bought an ex-police car with a "certified" speedometer that had everything a SS car wished it had, but not the taxi cab that a lot of police departments ordered that was a cop car as far as suspension cooling and brakes without the cop motor, or HD electric alternator and wiring to support the optional lighting and radios that cop cars have).

In the case of the Concours in 1977 (I have one myself) the only motor option was the 250 six, two barrel 305 or an anemic smog motored four barrel 350 with single exhaust only. No SS package was offered as everybody was laughing at those who paid extra for decals in the years following 1974, but not power due to the smog regulations and 1977 being a year after low lead was introduced without the option of premium fuel any more. Even the RS wasn't offered in 1977 (which was also only decals, with no parts upgrade) as 1976 was the last year for the RS.

Big Dave
Yeah i may want to make sure it's a solid cam car before i mess with the ac i doesn't bug me that the ac doesn't work lol it's the only nova i have that is even set up for ac, and wow i didn't know any of that sounds like the ex police car would be the way to go! i need to find the RPO codes and find out what the car came with originally who knows what options it had, i want the car to look 100% original... besides whats under the hood its very quiet so i plan on putting electric dumps on it, it should be easy it already has the plate you unbolt for just open exhaust

1 - 5 of 5 Posts