Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
didn't Henry Ford paint his first cars with brushes ???

pretty H/Duty finish too i heard...

Rustoleum paint ??? i think Henry was in cahoots with Dupont or someone wasn't he ???

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
SHIFTY4 said:
Rustoleum paint ???
That looks cool and I have seen many cars painted with tremclad (they were sprayed however) and they looked awsome and it seemed to hold up great too. However one thing...I'm not sure tremclad and rustolem are the same kinda paints...at least not based on what people have wrote about rustolem being difficult to put auto paint over later...I have never seen that problem with tremclad...So I would want to do some more reasearch before applying rustomlum inplace of tremclad....;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm pretty sure the old model "T's" were painted with laquire(SP?) paint...and I believe all they did was dip the car...I have heard that they did rub out the cars too to get them to shine as laquire paint wont shine without buffing first...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a car at a show that was brush painted with lacquer dry sanded and buffed in the late sixties. It had a nice shine to it. It was done that way because the guy didn't have access to anything else. What is the difference between a roller and spraying if you sand and buff?

G

·
i don't visualize a car rolled anymore, always sprayed... ya don't hear 'bout guys rolling or brushing too often anymore... least i haven't. it is interesting though... i think that's what Bob was talkin' 'bout :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
What is the difference between a roller and spraying if you sand and buff?
Prolly nuthin if you can get it on evenly...I read some articles years back where they said you could put laquire(sp?) on with a spray bottle of you wanted just as long as you got it on even...cause you have to sand and buff it out anyway to get a shine ...

·
Registered
128 Posts
My uncle told me when he was in High school back in the 50's, they used the pump bug sprayers to paint cars with. This roller idea is interesting. The GMC needs a paint job, maybe it would be a good guinea pig.

Randy (tough is good for a 4X4!! Cheap is good for me!!!):thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
On my formula I actually did all of my prep surfacer primer with a roller. It was much easier than having to pull out the sprayer. I was sanding it anyway, worked out well. I'm sure it would be fine for a final top coat application as long as you are willing to do all of that wetsanding!

·
Registered
24 Posts

Safety Red.
Sprayed wet sanded and sprayed again. I added a dust coat of 90% thinner 10% paint to give it a matte finish.
Total cost of paint job was $43.00

·
Registered
107 Posts
SixtyII said:

Safety Red.
Sprayed wet sanded and sprayed again. I added a dust coat of 90% thinner 10% paint to give it a matte finish.
Total cost of paint job was $43.00
Looks like ya painted yer floor with it too :eek:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Has anyone tried the line of paint from the Tractor Supply Company(TSC) called BPS (Best Paint Sold) made by Valspar? the Tractor and Implement enamel comes in 25 colors while the Truck and Trailer enamel comes in about 6 colors. There is a hardener avialable for it also. The paint is less then 23 bucks a gallon and the hardener is less then 10 bucks a continer. Looks like it might be a good economical source for paint. Now I havent looked into what you could use as a thinner(reducer) but I'm sure for well under 100 bucks a person could spray a durable shinny finish on their car :) ..whadda you guys think?

Tractor and Implement Enamel:
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1032&sonID=456&productID=52

Truck and Trailer Enamel:
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=2&paID=1018&sonID=468&productID=9167

Hardener:
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1032&sonID=456&page=1&productID=9169

·
Registered
938 Posts
The roller Idea is kinda neat! I might have to try it on a truck fender or something I have laying around just to see what kind of result I get! Then after that I may try to do a little spraying over it with a regular auto paint and see if it works. One thing I'm thinking is this stuff may actually work in something like a wagner power sprayer or something to help get a nicer finish!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts