Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, recently found this site and love it.
I am having a hard time deciding between a chassisworks or a tic front clip,
Anybody care to throw in there two cents would be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Dean!

What year Nova do you have?

I am going to assume it is a 1962-'67. You have a few options to choose from; though I am not up on the TIC that you have in mind. There are three choices basically:

First option is to reinforce the stock front suspension by eliminating the rubber O-ring that holds everything together and replacing all of the cheap flimsy stamped steel parts with stronger tubular steel parts and this is only available from Church Boys so far as I know.

Or you go with a Mustang II clone front end. This is what 80% of the aftermarket sells and allows you to mount front disc brakes and other aftermarket goodies. It also has the advantage of removing the restriction placed upon you to use a front oil sump and the limited and unique to the early Chevy II bell housing, and block (or the clutch ball adapter plate) and the small 10-1/2" fly wheel that was designed into the car. Chevy engineers used this special unique to Chevy II option as no other GM car had such a restricted small engine compartment (the car was designed to be an economy car powered by a four cylinder to compete with the on the horizon Jap imports and the already present and growing number of VW Beetles).

Your final choice is similar to the Mustang II option in that you get two rectangular front frame rails allowing you to mount any engine and transmission combination you want but instead of the unequal length A-arms used in the Mustang II they go back to a MacPherson strut design only made of stronger materials capable of withstanding a wheel stand. These are sold by professional race car chassis builders such as Art Morrison, Chris Alston's Chassis Works Shop, or from Applied Racing Technology. Most of them feature parts from Strange Engineering such as spindles and disc brakes and are the most expensive, but it will be your lightest solution to your Chevy II front end replacement.

Big Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts