Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Nova Fender louver with a broken stud.
My question is can it be fixed and if so how?

thanks,
afarrance64

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I hope I am wrong but I dont believe it can be fixed:(

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Theoretically it could be TIG welded but it is made of pot metal not aluminum so the melting point and strength of materials are dismal. Best bet is epoxy a threaded insert into the louver and use a brass screw into your newly made blind threaded hole, then attach from the back.

To TIG weld it you would need an Aluminum threaded rod (aluminum screw with head cut off) and a hole to insert it into. Because pot metal is a cheesy Zinc based metal with Copper and Aluminum or Lead added to the mix it is difficult to weld (low boiling point close to point of oxidation). Anyway by using Aluminum wire you should be able to braze it in place under an Argon atmosphere if you can keep the heat down. Keep the fire extinguisher handy as it will burn like a flare if ignited, and water only exasperates the problem not put out the resulting fire.

Big Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help 69novass and Big Dave. Since it seems difficult to fix the louver does anybody know where I can get another set of louvers, either new or used.

thanks,
afarrance64

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I do not believe any one is reproducing them, and NOS parts are long gone. Repair or making a mold from your part to cast a new one may be your only hope.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the louver fits nicely against the fender, you could install it using double-faced adhesive tape available at an auto body supply house. This method would be fine for a daily driver, but may be noticable for a show car.
Those louvers came either completely painted, or painted with a chrome edge. I have one of the completely painted louvers if you are interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts