Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with my brake lights. My tail-lights work when I turn my lights on. So far, I have replaced the bulbs and stoplight switch have have checked all of the connections for corrosion. I put di-electric grease in each connection and on the bulbs. I used a circuit tester on the plug-in that connects to the stop light switch, but it never lighted up. I checked it when it was disconnected from the switch. Should there be power in the orange or white wire that runs to this plugin when the key is not turned on? Where do these wires go to that run into this plug-in? I saw that they ran into the dash harness but it was all taped up and I do not have a wiring diagram so I did not want to tear it apart and not know what I was getting myself into. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
938 Posts
On the 72 Nova the basic wiring should be the same as your 67 Camaro for the tail lights. The wiring should also be routed pretty much the same being under the drivers side kick plate and under the rear seat and up over the drivers side rear wheel housing. GM was nice and kept the color coding the same so that should not be much of an issue. Behind the kick plate on the drivers side is where the rear tail light harness plugs to a set of wires coming out of the fuse box. Remember that the E-brake assembly has to come out to get that kick panel out though. The 72 Nova has a couple of extra circuits than the 67 Camaro such as seat belt warning and such. The 67 Camaro could also have under the dash courtesy lights which was not a popular option on the Nova. The Fuse box that came out of a 68 Firebird looked identical to the fuse box that I pulled out of a 74 Nova and was labeled the exact same.

I hope this helps a little. You could also test the tail lights on your Camaro wiring to see what colors should have power and which ones should go to ground and then compare the colors to the colors of the nova and the readings on the Nova.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
The orange wire to the stoplight switch should be hot all the time. It feeds from the Hazard/stop fuse in the panel. The white wire feeds into the turn signal switch and then out to the rear lights. The turn signal switch will cancel the stop light when it is actuating the turn signal on that side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the help fellas! :hurray: I'll definately dig into it further and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today, after replacing the turn signal switch assembly(AC Delco brand), my brake, back-up and tag lights started working. However, my tail lights stopped working:confused: My turn signals will light up, but they won't blink. I have tried replacing the fuses and the flasher twice. The front signal light in the bumper on right side of the car will not light up at all, so I'm guessing that the short there is causing them not to work correctly. :confused:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Try replacing the bulb in the blinker light not working first. GM kinda made the not flashing thing an idiot light to tell people a bulb was burnt out.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
If the bulb is out on the right side the left side should still work. The bulb out/no flash scenario will only work if the old style flasher is used. The new electronic units do not depend on circuit load to open the connection. The flasher in the fuse panel is for the hazard lights. The turn signal flasher is under the dash in the area around the radio. Check all the grounds front and rear, a bad ground will affect the operation of both the running lights and the trun signals/brake lights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try replacing the bulb in the blinker light not working first. GM kinda made the not flashing thing an idiot light to tell people a bulb was burnt out.
I replaced every bulb in the car except the ones in the gauges, dome lamp and tag light, so I hope they should all be good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the bulb is out on the right side the left side should still work. The bulb out/no flash scenario will only work if the old style flasher is used. The new electronic units do not depend on circuit load to open the connection. The flasher in the fuse panel is for the hazard lights. The turn signal flasher is under the dash in the area around the radio. Check all the grounds front and rear, a bad ground will affect the operation of both the running lights and the trun signals/brake lights.
Thanks Philip, I'll definately check that out. My car no longer has a radio. It had a crappy one in it when I got it and someone hacked up the radio wires to put it in, so I removed it and taped up the wires. I won't be able to work on it again until Friday :( So I'll have to wait until then. Here is a link to some pictures of the car that I am working on. I've took pictures of it regularly to document my progress from day 1. http://www.putfile.com/jaander/images/60247

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
One other thing I have run across that makes no sense is sometimes one side will flash and the other only light both bulbs. It turned out to be a bad flasher and It should have affected both sides but didn't.
Nice looking car and it seems you are making good progress from the photos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I replaced the flasher you were talking about and I got my signals working!!!:hurray: The turn signal on the front right still doesn't work, so I will test the voltage going to the socket the next chance I work on it. If it's bad, I'm going to trace the wiring to find the short. All that's left now is getting the tail lights to work. The turn signals in the back work, but not the tail lights. :confused: Is there a separate ground for the tail lights?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a chance to work on it again this afternoon. I took out the turn signal lamp and replaced the wiring in it. I had power at the connection, just not at the bulb socket. It's fixed now. :hurray: I also changed the gear oil in the rear end, but that isn't related to wiring, lol. I guess I will trace my remaining tail light problem down next week sometime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.