Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, iv'e been cleaning and stripping the gunk and old paint from under the windshield. Under A couple layers of paint is bondo. It isn't all the way around but is heavy in some places but when I sand through it the metal is perfect. I have no rust whatsoever around the front or rear windshield but yet I have quite A bit of bondo??????? What's the deal, is it A factory thing or did someone just decide to build up the window to fit better???

Tommy

G

·
Yo Tommy... "factory" i dunno fer sure... but when i cleaned up the windshield opening on my 68 C10 i found the same thing... only in the two lower corners. no damage anywhere, just some filler...

as i said... i dunno factory or what... but my C10 had it present. maybe others will have info regarding this for ya also ;)

Be Good !!! :D

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
There was NO "bondo" at all around the windows. There was a sealer that spread out a little, but no more than an inch or so away from the seam at each corner.

Brian

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When we stripped our 72, we found what looked like seam sealer on the corners of the back window, on the cowl edges under the windshield and also at the back of the quarter windows where the window mouldings went. There was also some where the taillight panel met the quarter panels. We are starting to strip a 69 and so far have found the sealer by the cowl, trunk areas and pretty sure we will find it by the back window and quarter windows also. This sealer was whitish in color and was hard as a rock. When we resealed these areas we used 3m seam sealer and it looked just like the old stuff we took out. It set up hard also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figure the guy who painted the car (also painted interior) thought he needed it to make A smoother area for the seal. He also had butyl tape packed in the window channel so deep it covered all the chrome clips and was even with the window and over it in some places. I had A time getting all of it out but I finally won that war. Under the layers of butyl tape , paint, paint, paint, and the thin layer of bondo was very nice looking metal and nice shiny pinch welds.

Tommy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.