Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my 3310 Holley on my air gap intake. Now when I step on the gas, it bogs and hesitates REEAALLY bad. At cruising speed, light pedal, the car runs ok. It is when I begin to step on the gas, where the bogging occurs.

I know there are a few possible reasons. The problem I am having, is knowing where to start and locate the problem. Do I need to change jets, springs, increase the pump shot, raise the float level.....????

Any help with guiding me in the right direction, so I can tune my carb, will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

So-cal Jack

·
Registered
496 Posts
Pick a spot and start at square one. I'm leaning on the cause being the the pump shot (squirter) being to big or maybe the power valve being to big. The power valve should be 2 or 3 numbers below the vacuum at idle.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doug for your help. This might help with diagnosing the problem. When at idle it is fine. Revving at idle is fine too. Once it starts to drive, is where the hesitation/bogging occurs.

The carb ran excellent on the edelbrock 2701. This all began once I installed it on the air gap intake.

I was told that it might be my secondaries, and that the springs might have to be changed. I just look at the carb and just throw my hands up.

So-cal Jack

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bogs almost always come from being too lean and almost never from being too rich.

Is the carb out of the box stock? It should run well.

What is the fuel pressure? What pump are you running?

- Set the float levels to just trickel from the sight plugs

- Set the timing to 12 degrees BTDC

- Set the mixture screws to best idle/vacuum

- Adjust the accel pump to zero slack at idle (just tight and no more) and .015 clearance at WOT

This should help and get you in the ball park.

Good Luck! :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all of the helpful information. It helped guide me, and also give me a starting point. I ended up removing the spacer, adjusting the idle, and setting the float level.

After that......the car runs perfect.

Thanks everyone!!

So-Cal Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts