Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Nova enthusiasts,

There has been a fair amount of talk on the web about the BluePrint 632. Most people say it is a good motor, most people say it is a good price.

My question is... What exactly are you getting for your $11,599?

On their website there is a skeleton list of parts that make the engine. It mostly lets you know that it is complete. It tells you the bore and stroke, chamber size, a few specs for the cam, and the size of the carb.

I called them to try and get some more specific info on the engine.
1. Are the heads ported? They do sell them that way.
2. What crank is it?
3. Type of pistons?
4. Type of rods? I or H
5. More cam info?
6. Rocker lift?
Part numbers, brands, etc. The list goes on.
I called their tech department and was told, "The information on the website is all you can get. We don't want to put any specifics on the web because we change parts so often.". I told him other companies seem to be able to make it work. There was just silence on the other end.

For that kind of money I would like to know a little more about what I am getting.

I know BluePrint representatives are on this forum so I am hoping one of them can address this issue.

Or if someone out there has purchased one they can fill in the blanks.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
My question is... What exactly are you getting for your $11,599?

On their website there is a skeleton list of parts that make the engine. It mostly lets you know that it is complete. It tells you the bore and stroke, chamber size, a few specs for the cam, and the size of the carb.

I called them to try and get some more specific info on the engine.
1. Are the heads ported? They do sell them that way.
2. What crank is it?
3. Type of pistons?
4. Type of rods? I or H
5. More cam info?
6. Rocker lift?
Part numbers, brands, etc. The list goes on.
I called their tech department and was told, "The information on the website is all you can get. We don't want to put any specifics on the web because we change parts so often.". I told him other companies seem to be able to make it work. There was just silence on the other end.

Doug
Well Doug I have never bought a Blue print Engine but I have read what they have to say (mostly complaints about unreasonable expectations from customers, and finding parts at a price were they can make money).

As such I have no direct knowledge of their engine: BUT ...

Knowing how all engines are screwed together gives me a slight insight into what you are going to find in the box, but I'm only guessing here based upon price of the parts.

To get a 4.75 inch stroke inside a BBC block you are going to be needing an aftermarket tall deck block from Bill Mitchell (Merlin III) or Dart (Big M) or Brodix. My money is on the industry standard Dart Big M Sportsman Tall deck). That is what they are building upon. They probably bought the crank from Eagle, as that is their favorite vendor though they have sourced SCAT as well. H-beam rods (so that you don't have a cap screw to worry about coming in contact with a cam lobe) are from either Howards or Callies, Pistons are probably from Probe or Diamond only because Mahl costs so much more. Heads are going to be a 320 cc rectangular port from Patriot if they can find any, any more as I think Patriot may have gone belly up (second best source would be from Brodix a set of BB-2 heads). An Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake for hood clearance (not for the added performance a Victor manifold would yield), and a Holley 1050 cfm Dominator because that is the smallest carb that will feed this size of a motor. As mentioned in the ad they use a Comp Cams hydraulic roller and valve train to limit the engine's RPM.

In the old days a when a 632 was classified as a mountain motor they used to drill and tap the oil galleries to run along the outside of the Chevy tall deck Truck block and moved the cam tunnel up by making it bigger in size but running a reduced base circle billet cam. Rod length had to be greater than 6.700 inches to clear the cam ground billet crankshaft that they used back then. Today instead of a 632 being a machine shop marvel it is a common size made with off the shelf parts. Expensive still, but nothing custom made out of a forged alloy billet.

Big Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts