Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I named our (my wife's) current cat Chop Suey. Neither Georgia nor I are in the best of health, so if she goes first, the cat gets to eat Chinese out of the dumpster around the back of an all Chinese staffed restaurant in town. At least for a little while.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Thanks Michael. Im a sucker for a lost cause.

Not a whole lot of actual work done on the car lately, but I have been collecting parts!

I got frame stands and motor mounts so I can start to locate the engine in the frame.

and hood hinges. (not the ones I REALLY wanted, but the ones I can actually afford)

The motor mounts themselves are pretty sweet, but they didn't come in the color I wanted. I had them anodized black and I am thinking they look awesome. Any bets on if Chassisworks will start making them in black after seeing these? I think royalties might be in order...

Anyways, I am at a stalled point. I need to buy a transmission. Or rent one from someone so I can mock it up in place and build the cross member. If anyone has a t-56 magnum that they want to loan me for a week or two, let me know!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Small progress is always good progress. I have been doing some work on the firewall. I need to have this in before I can fit the motor up, and I still am saving for the transmission.

Work has been busy this summer. I guess it is always busy but it just seems like I have less time. Trying to make progress is also tough when the month of July was 100* plus every day.

Anyways - Here is a picture. Not welded up yet.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Thanks Nick!

This has been a long time coming. This is one of those "project hurdles" so that will be great to have it done!

In order to put the motor and tranny in, I put the ride height simulators into the car. I forgot how low it will be!

So, this week I am headed out of town for work, but next week I should be able to get some progress done on the mounting!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Good news! Motor mounts are welded in!

Now, I moved to the cross member. After lots of thinking about how to make everything work, this is what we came up with.

I will make the final welds to the cross member tonight and try to weld it into the car this weekend.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I was wondering why you where using such a heavy gage metal for a tranny mount that can hold the car up; but I see it is a structural member that is part of your tube frame. Nice design.

I would suggest a couple of bolts welded to the frame part that will then stick up enough to locate the screw holes you have already drilled and tapped to center the bottom yoke between the two frame horns easily. Round off the ends of the bolts so that the cross-member falls over the bolt (you just need a half round dimple to locate the tranny mount quickly). Might even consider chamfering the holes you would drill through the cross member and the frame horns to weld in the bolt to the frame horns so everything is all lined up to speed the process of the holes lining up with the pins.

Probably better if I made a simple drawing instead of typing a thousand words. If you have a question PM me.

Big Dave

81 - 100 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.