Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace the coil resistor wire with a 12 gauge wire in the outside part of the fuse block, when I swap in my new 427 with an HEI distributor. I'm wondering what works best to clean off the factory black goo (water proofing) that covers the wires going into the firewall side of the fuse block. I will have the inner fender out, and do it from under the brake booster. Maybe have a pan of solvent/mineral spirits/or etc with a little brush?

I'm sure many of you have done it before. What works, without damaging the wiring or plastic fuse block?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pressure washer and Simple Green works good.
I was looking for a more targeted solution. The car is in my man cave on the lift, partially disassembled, so a pressure washer is out of the question. I probably wasn't specific enough: The black gunk I am referring to isn't just dirt or grease (the car is exceptionallly clean), it is the black waterproofing used back then, on all of the wires coming out of the firewall fuse blocks to keep the elements out. I'm just trying to find some kind of solvent to remove that stuff without damaging the wires or fuse block, maybe with a brush and pan, or a rag soaked with the solvent. Then, when clean, I can remove and replace the resistor wire and terminal in the fuse block.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Sounds like undercoating that's a nasty job, heat gun and scraper and a wire wheel, I hear "Super Clean" supposed to work too, regardless how you do it it's nasty and makes a mess and takes a lot of time, good luck with that job

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have no idea what I used on mine but it seems to me I got in there and picked away what I could using a small flat bladed jewelers screwdriver and then maybe took some simple green or possibly some reducer and got things cleaned up.

Before:

After:

Also too, I never seen these before but the unused holes have block off plugs in them and they need to be in place to help keep moisture out.

Block Off Plug:

It seems to me I also applied sparingly some 3m rope caulk onto the back onto the plug after cleaning.

Also watch out too if yours has the part number tag wrapped around the loom close to the plug that you keep it intact.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea what I used on mine but it seems to me I got in there and picked away what I could using a small flat bladed jewelers screwdriver and then maybe took some simple green or possibly some reducer and got things cleaned up.

Before:

After:

Also too, I never seen these before but the unused holes have block off plugs in them and they need to be in place to help keep moisture out.

Block Off Plug:

It seems to me I also applied sparingly some 3m rope caulk onto the back onto the plug after cleaning.

Also watch out too if yours has the part number tag wrapped around the loom close to the plug that you keep it intact.

Jim
Nice cleaning job, looks like new. I did something like this with my voltage regulator harness. Used a rage with mineral spirits and scrubbed, scrubbed. It took a little while, but worked. I suspect the factory sealant that came on the fuse blocks is more daunting. Good to know stuff. Did you seal it all back up with something when you were finished? Looks like a nice tidy job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts