Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Believe it or not when I bought my Nova there was no through bolt in the driver's side motor mount. The holes weren't even close to lining up.

I figured it was the frame mounts so I bought a set of BB frame mounts from Ground Up. Same condition with new frame mounts so I ordered new Energy suspension poly motor mounts part number 3.1117. These are not specifically listed for the Nova but they are the same for the 396 Camaro so I took a shot. They are closer but they go metal to metal before the holes will line up :angry:

Now looking in the Ground Up catalog they show the BB uses the same mount as a 6 cyl.:eek: I was looking for something better that stock but didn't really want all the vibration of solids. What are you BB guys doing, solid on the driver's and stock on the passenger side?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Are you sure you are using the right holes in your frame for the towers? Now some one correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to at least get a BBC engine to mount up even if you have SBC engine towers the problem is when you go to put your exhaust in you will not have clearance due to the steering gear box. In case you use any combination of BBC and SBC engine mounting parts it should go in with just the exhaust clearance issues unless you have all the correct BBC mounts and towers. I think there may have also been an issue with the tranny crossmember but they have enough play to make them work. The other possibility I can think of right now would be a bent front sub frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor sits fine, if it could just drop another 1/4 inch. It's the mounts that go metal to metal before the holes line up. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. It looks like the engine mount needs to be deeper.

What are you using for engine mounts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gloryhound said:
Are you sure you are using the right holes in your frame for the towers? Now some one correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to at least get a BBC engine to mount up even if you have SBC engine towers the problem is when you go to put your exhaust in you will not have clearance due to the steering gear box. In case you use any combination of BBC and SBC engine mounting parts it should go in with just the exhaust clearance issues unless you have all the correct BBC mounts and towers. I think there may have also been an issue with the tranny crossmember but they have enough play to make them work. The other possibility I can think of right now would be a bent front sub frame.
Exactly right!

A buddy has a 71 Nova with a 496 using factory SB frame mounts and the motor sits a little back and higher from factory settings, but doesn't matter with the manual box and 4" cowl hood.

I'd also be interested to see what kind of rubber mounts they sent you. any markings or manf. name on the box? I know moroso solid engine mounts work without any headaches.

Derek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was only one set of holes for the frame mounts, the same ones the SB frame mounts came out of.

The frame mounts are OER and the motor mounts are Energy Suspension polyurathane part number 3.1117's, same as for a 396 Camaro. It's just they are not deep enough to fit down over the Nova BB frame mount and have the holes line up.

Is anyone using poly mounts in their BB Nova? Or just stocks and solids or combos. Seems strange that their wouldn't be a polyurathane mount for the BB Nova w/ BB frame mounts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Several people have hadthat problem in the recent past from the posts I have read. My 79 Blazer had the same problem; it had a 402 in it and I swapped engines a couple of times. The last 350 I put in it I couldn't get the engine to line up. Later I found out GM used spacer plates under the mounts that attach to the engine. They are triangle shaped and are 1/4 to 3/8 thick. I think they work kind of like starter shims. I don't know how you could measure the difference between what you had and what you have. The tolerance on these cars seems to be really loose based on clearance issues with heater boxes, distributors and steering boxes. Some people like me had no clearance problems and the BBC fell into place on my car with the SBC frame mounts. I used the same Moroso solid motor mounts and frame mounts. Some people claim to be able to use HEI, I can barely get my hand in between the distributor and firewall. My 2 1/8 Hooker Super Comp headers fit with ZERO clearance issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm wondering if there is a right and left on the mounts? i know on 1st gen camaros and 3rd gen novas big block mounts move the front of the motor over to the passenger side for clearance on the steering box (as said here) could you have them mixed? i also used stock 305 mounts on a 4th gen with BB,
no trouble but motor sits straight

·
Registered
938 Posts
Matts Rat said:
What are you using for engine mounts?
Sorry I had not edited my signiture since my change in plans. I'm not going to be using a 402 BBC anymore. I got my hands on a Pontiac 455 and all the mounts out of a 69 Firebird. The reason I was asking if you were using the right frame holes was my subframe has holes drilled for the pontiac mounts and the chevy mounts! I went with the change becouse I got a Pontiac 455 for free that needs a light rebuild where as the 402 BBC needs a complete rebuild including significant Machine work and it came to me in pieces were as the pontic 455 came as a complete engine. I've done some research and while yes it is more expensive to make big HP numbers with Pontiac engines, it is really easy to make big torque at low RPM's with a Pontiac 455. My car is going to be a street car and torque is fun on the street while HP is fast at the track!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a picture of what was going on. Ended up being the OER frame mounts. Went to Ground Up and picked up a new set from Classic Chevy (Ricks's) switched them out and the motor almost jumped on them buy itself. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm glad to hear it was the OER frame mounts!!! I bought a pair of OEM frame mounts, and I was begining to to think I should expect problems if I ever get to install the B/B in my Nova.

Randy (It'll happen someday!):rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.