Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the engine out of my 69 Nova today and am having difficulty identifying the block from the casting code. I have been unsuccessful finding the code anyplace on the internet. The block casting code is 14015445 and it has Hi Perf Pass cast on the back of the block. There is not any info. stamped on the block on the front pass. side. If anyone can help me ID the block it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I have no idea why I thought you said you had a BBC motor, but before I throw away what I have already typed I thought I would toss it out in the off chance you do have a big block.

If it is a four bolt Mark IV BBC block it will have an extra plug above the oil filter (for a total of two) as all four bolt blocks were also machined for an oil cooler. No extra plug it is a two bolt main block (the HiPerf) casting logo means nothing on anything but a head as almost all blocks got that verbage when cast (unless it says Truck). If it has no fuel pump boss at the front of the block it is a Generation Five one piece rear main seal block. Good news they are all four bolt main blocks. Bad news is they are not machined to accept hydraulic roller cams. A Generation six block is machined for a fuel pump but it should be blocked off. You can also tell a Gen V or Gen VI block by the six bolt timing shain cover instead of the Mark IV block's ten bolts holding on a metal instead of plastic timing cover.

A casting number you can not find published indicates to me that it was not used in production, and is probably a service block (over the counter replacement). This means it can be a race preped four bolt main block block or a two bolt target master block only a visual inspection will tell what you have.

With a small block the HiPerf blocks generally have a bow tie cast onto the block in addition to a casting number to inddicate that it is a HD service part designed for racing. Just like with a big block castings a small block with no casting number record search return is probably either a new production casting from Mexico or Canada or a service part sold through GMPP and all service departments. All HD service parts will have 020 cast into the timing chain cavity as do all normal production blocks cast in Canada.

Big Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Dave,
Thanks for the information. There are two plugs above the oil filter, one above and to the left and another larger plug directly above the oil filter. I plan on pulling the pan off tomorrow and I'll see what I have then. Thanks again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Searching this casting number on google, in various sites says:

* 14015445...454.......78-90...2 or 4 bolt

* 1401544 1975-87 454 4.250 4 bolt mains (casting number may also be 14015445)

* 73-84
454 BLOCK ID # 14015445
VIN CODE "L,S,W,Z"
HEAD ID # 336781, 346236, 353049, 6272292
Notes: Carb, 10-35 series, w/o H5D emissions

85-90
454 BLOCK ID # 14015445
VIN CODE "W,Z"
HEAD ID # 14081045, 14092360, 10052902
Notes: Carb, 10-35 series w or w/o H5D emissions

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Big Dave,
Thanks for the information. There are two plugs above the oil filter, one above and to the left and another larger plug directly above the oil filter. I plan on pulling the pan off tomorrow and I'll see what I have then. Thanks again.

My money is on a four bolt main block. The crank will still be cast iron though. Anything made after 1968 got a cast crank unless it was for a truck or solid lifter HiPerf engine. You can not bolt in a forged 454 truck crank into a car motor with out rebalancing the rotating assembly as the pistons and rods were heavier with the truck application. If you can find a good forged truck crank you can grind down the leading edges of the counter weights to redirect oil in the air to reduce windage before you balance the rotating assembly as it won't miss the metal removed as much as passenger crank would.

Big Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts