Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 73 nova 350 (once had a 250 six cyl. straight, 3 speed tranny) with a 700r4 in it now. It has the orignal rear end in it and I got the numbers off of it...
JB 357-3 which I found out by some research I did, It has 3.08 gears in it but what I need to know is what the axle spline count is without taking the axles out....???? I couldnt find any info on it so I came on here to find out. Please and thanks

Korey :D

· Registered
677 Posts
The '73 Nova will have the 8.5 10 bolt. All of the Nova and Camaro 8.5 rear ends had 28 spline axles and a 30 spline pinion. You can upgrade it to 30 spline axles, which is what I usually do. I've built many of the Camaro and Nova 8.5 rear ends with a new 30 spline Eaton Posi and 30 spline Moser axles.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just be sure that it isn't the Governor Lock. Many people sell these and claim that they are a posi. They will spin both tires, until they break. The Gov Lock was used in GM trucks, not cars. The cars got the Traction Lock, or in some rare cases they got the Auburn.
Well I will be going to look at it this weekend, but how can you tell which is which so I dont buy it and get screwed...?? :confused:

Korey

· Premium Member
17,568 Posts
The Posi rear end will have four springs pushing on two side gears that have splined steels and organic clutches behind them.

The Gov-Loc will have a big steel weight on a thin metal axles held by a spring (you will see all of this easily as the hole in the case is huge).

Big Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts