Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 2 door nova. It came stock with a 305. I am replacing that with a 350 bored .030 over and I had the stock transmission rebuilt with a shift kit.

my first question is in regards of the rear axle,
Currently the car can only do a 1 wheel burnout. What exactly do I need to change in order to get both back wheels to bust loose. I've heard that it needs to have a posi rearend, but I'm not sure.

Secondly, my car still has completely stock suspension.
I am working with a rather tight budget (I'm currently in college) and I am wondering what would be the best parts to replace to improve its suspension without replacing everything. I've heard that I should start by upgrading the sway bar and control arms, but I would like a second opinion. I've heard that muscle cars can actually be pretty good at cornering as long as the have the right suspension upgrades.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Your car doesn't have a sway bar or control arms in the back, only up front (and not all cars had a sway bar). In the back you have a 8.5 inch ten bolt open differential (one tire on fire) and you want a Posi to spin both tires as a unit. It could be worse, had your car shipped with a six cylinder it would have had a 7.625 inch ten bolt.

I would save your money until after you get out of school and put your expensive diploma to work making you money. On the street a posi won't get you down the road any faster only straighter as street tires are the weakest link in terms of traction and they will always slip first. With a posi both tires are pushing the car straight ahead with an open rear one side is pushing which tends to cause the car to rotate or turn to one side.

Enjoy your car, save your tires and once you get $1,200 to $1,500 dollars in a coffee can or stashed under your mattress you can buy all of the parts to convert your rear over to a stronger 30 spine aftermarket axles with an Eaton posi and your choice of rear gear ratio.

Big Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car doesn't have a sway bar or control arms in the back, only up front (and not all cars had a sway bar). In the back you have a 8.5 inch ten bolt open differential (one tire on fire) and you want a Posi to spin both tires as a unit. It could be worse, had your car shipped with a six cylinder it would have had a 7.625 inch ten bolt.

I would save your money until after you get out of school and put your expensive diploma to work making you money. On the street a posi won't get you down the road any faster only straighter as street tires are the weakest link in terms of traction and they will always slip first. With a posi both tires are pushing the car straight ahead with an open rear one side is pushing which tends to cause the car to rotate or turn to one side.

Enjoy your car, save your tires and once you get $1,200 to $1,500 dollars in a coffee can or stashed under your mattress you can buy all of the parts to convert your rear over to a stronger 30 spine aftermarket axles with an Eaton posi and your choice of rear gear ratio.

Big Dave
So there isn't a cheaper option to get both tires to spin?
Also, in your opinion do you think that upgrading the sway bar or control arms (in the front) would improve anything or would you recommend something else?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have a 1978 2 door nova. It came stock with a 305. I am replacing that with a 350 bored .030 over and I had the stock transmission rebuilt with a shift kit.

my first question is in regards of the rear axle,
Currently the car can only do a 1 wheel burnout. What exactly do I need to change in order to get both back wheels to bust loose. I've heard that it needs to have a posi rearend, but I'm not sure.

Secondly, my car still has completely stock suspension.
I am working with a rather tight budget (I'm currently in college) and I am wondering what would be the best parts to replace to improve its suspension without replacing everything. I've heard that I should start by upgrading the sway bar and control arms, but I would like a second opinion. I've heard that muscle cars can actually be pretty good at cornering as long as the have the right suspension upgrades.
Posi unit will allow you to spin both wheels assuming you have enough torque to do so. You can find them new for around $350 and up depending on which one you choose. With a mildly built 350 you can get away with your stock axles. I recommend that you have this installed professionally.

As for your suspension I would start with replacing all your worn out factory rubber parts. You also need to look at the condition of your shocks front coils and rear leafs. If they need to be replaced this is when you need to consider aftermarket performance pieces. Since you are in college and if this is your driver, you may only want to stick with the parts that need to be replaced and then be replaced with stock replacements. You can achieve better steering and control with larger sway bars, tublar upper/lower control arms that are designed to add more camber/toe, there are better springs and shocks out there all to make your car turn like a new car that will out perform anything GM intended for the Nova in 78 by far. It is a matter of cost. So the real question is, how much are you willing to spend. Priorities need to be made.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Peanut gallery here. I always suggest starting with the basics. Look up "differential" and learn as much about them as you can first. Once you get the basics down, everything else falls into place a piece at a time. Things like positraction, Detroit locker, etc. will all make sense.

I'm not an expert, and I don't visit the site as often as I should, but it seems like I notice more and more inexperienced guys diving into a car project. That's truly a great thing, and it's great that there are experienced guys here that are willing to help. Guys new to the hobby have to realize that there's a lot to working on cars, and it takes time to soak it in.

That's my two cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.