Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some Hedman HTC long tube headers for my '70 Nova (396 4spd, p/s). Even though I called Hedman beforehand to verify the fit, I've run into a clearance problem with the driver's side header. I removed the motor mount bolt and raised the engine slightly to install the header, but the steering box won't provide enough clearance to lower the motor back all the way back into the mount. It looks like I need another 1/2". Is it possible (or even recommended) to add spacers to the motor mounts? Hedman said that I must have BBC mounts installed - are the BB's larger or smaller than the SB mounts? How do I tell which one is installed? I've heard that some speed shops "dimple" the headers to make them fit - and I really don't want to do as it will void the warranty.

Thanks,
Jonathan
(Hoping that the left side will clear the starter motor!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The BB frame stands are different than the SB ones. The BB one will raise the engine on the drivers side and will also offset the engine to the pass side of the car. This also moves the trans mount over. Did the car have a SB in it? If so, chances are good you have the SB stands and will need the BB ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was originally equipped with the 396/402, however the numbers aren't matching so I have no idea what mounts are in the car now. Is there an accurate way to determine which one I have before I start ordering replacement parts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more question for clarification -
I just spoke with Ground Up - the salesrep said that I needed "frame brackets", not the mounts that go on the block. Are we talking about the same thing? The pn# they gave me was ACE-9412.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The correct frame stands are what you need. Often confused with the mounts.

With SB frame stands in the car, headers hit the steering box.

Ron

·
Registered
43 Posts
JC...There are quite a few threads at www.stevesnovasite.com about the frame stands. There are some pictures with measurements, if I remember correctly. I am stupid witha computer or I would make a link. Go there and do a search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. This may not be a politically correct question (noting the banner at the top right corner of this page), but are there sources other than Ground Up or junk yards for the frame mounts? I'd like to spend less than $75 if there are other options.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
GM no longer makes the part (obsolete) so the only source for new parts is the repop people. I wish you luck finding a first gen Camaro or BBC '68-'71 Nova in a wrecking yard as those are the only donors that will have the parts you need (back in the early seventies and late sixties Olds, Buick, and Pontiac were still making their own motors for their variants of the Nova, so there won't be a BBC in them unless some transplanted one.

This is another case of supply and demand determining market price.

Big Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Well, I replaced the small block frame brackets with the big block version - unfortunately, there still was not enough clearance. (I even shimmed the driver's side up by a quarter inch.) I just got off the phone with Hedman for a third time... now they're telling me that the Elite Headers will not fit my car with power steering. Great.

So it's back to Summit to try on another pair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Well, I replaced the small block frame brackets with the big block version - unfortunately, there still was not enough clearance. (I even shimmed the driver's side up by a quarter inch.) I just got off the phone with Hedman for a third time... now they're telling me that the Elite Headers will not fit my car with power steering. Great.

So it's back to Summit to try on another pair.
so do you NEED power steering??? if not, i have a manual box with pitman arm that is in VGC that i pulled from my 69 to put PS on it.....would you be interested????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so do you NEED power steering??? if not, i have a manual box with pitman arm that is in VGC that i pulled from my 69 to put PS on it.....would you be interested????
Power steering is definitely my preference, but I'll keep your offer in mind if the circumstances change. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to my world and others it seams....I am in the process of a 6cyl to BB swap and I am having the same issues. I have BB stands and tall Solid Moroso mounts and still have header (Hooker Pro Comps) to PS box issues.Some times I just stare at it and says why did I not just put in a SB....Then I look at it and just imagine it running and say that is why I am dealing with these headaches :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts