Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get a handle on the differences between Nova and Camaro
subframes for 1975-1979. Essentially, there is supposedly a difference
in track width, Nova somehow being narrower by about 1/2 inch per side.
If this is actually true, what is different ?

So. They have the same centerlink, same spindles, same A-arms.
I think the rotors MIGHT be different, with a different wheel mounting
mounting surface ??? Why would this be different unless they needed
more clearance on the rotor for a different width caliper at some point,
pushing the wheel mounting surface farther out ( but NOT moving the
outer wheel bearing ) ? I thought the calipers were the same anyway.

Anyway, can anyone shine a little light on this ?

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
1975 and up suspension parts are interchangeable from the Camaro to the Nova. They share the same track. The only part that isn't a direct fit is the sub-frame itself which is different due to the longer lower sloping nose on the Camaro. Prior to 1975 Chevy was changing the bushing size in the A-arms every year as they tried to find a cheap solution to the front suspension that would offer cornering without undo deflection at an economical price.

Actually as I think about it I remember the A-arms differing a bit as well from the Camaro to the Nova, but I have used them and noticed no problem once I got the bushings to match.

Rotors and steering knuckle interchanges as do tie rods idler arm and steering gear box.

Big Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Big Dave.

It occurred to me that maybe it's the Nova/Camaro wheels that are
different, a different backspace on the Nova wheel would account for
a difference in the actual track width. But maybe not.

If the Nova A-arms are a shorter length (moving the spindle), and the
centerlink is the same, then the Nova tie rod ends must also be shorter.
This would keep the bumpsteer about the same.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
They are different. The Nova has a square formed (not on the face of the wheel hub) open slot versus the earlier flatter (punched through the wheel hub) oval slot. Because of calipers attached to a disc brake as an option after 1969 the wheels difference in structure could affect back spacing.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
As Dave has stated all the components that bolt to the subframe on both models are interchangeable. They a arms not any shorter or longer. The subframe itself is different and the angle the upper arm attaches to the subframe are different between Camaro and Nova. The rear suspension is the same but the Camaro rear track width is the same as the front where as the Nova rear track is 1" per side narrower than the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Philip & Big Dave,

What we have here is contradictory info on the A-arms !

Are they different ?

If the A-arms are the same, and the subframes are indeed different,
AND the centerlink is the same, how is the Nova track width narrower ?

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Have to check the part number to verify (which is why you would buy a book of obsolete Chevrolet part numbers from 1958 through 1975 to check that, because you can not buy those part numbers any more (with a few exceptions such as the water pump gasket for the SBC had the same part from 1955 through 2002).

But as Philip said above they mounted the Camaro A-arms much more aggressively to counteract high speed cornering forces that would affect ride quality in a Nova so the mounting angle differ, but I believe that I am going to go with my first impression of them being the same part. All of this applies to 1975 and newer second gen Camaros as Chevy was changing parts annually prior to that (1970-'74) so a lot of the earlier parts are year specific.

Big Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts