Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new member with 1st post here,
I recently just bought a 1975 two door SS Nova with a rebuilt 400 v8 small block. And I am having some issues with it stalling out at random times? The previous owner totally rebuilt this thing in two years and it looks great But, he said the fuel must be getting too hot and ta wrap the fuel lines with Cool Tape but it’s still stalling out? Also said something about a carb plate but it already has a black plastic one under there? So it idles fine for the most part but then seems ta wanna sputter after a long stop light? And after it stalls it takes a few minutes and try’s ta get it going again? And other times starts right up? Possible vapor lock? How do I release the extra fumes?
Not sure what ta do next?
Any advice or possible fix ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Need to put a pressure gauge on it, too much pressure at idle and it'll overcome the needle and seat and end up flooding it and stall out, a pump with a return is a good thing too. Is that a new filter??, if it's plugging up you'll run out of fuel and stall out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need to put a pressure gauge on it, too much pressure at idle and it'll overcome the needle and seat and end up flooding it and stall out, a pump with a return is a good thing too. Is that a new filter??, if it's plugging up you'll run out of fuel and stall out.
Yeah filter is new, was just told by a friend about possibly using a Check Valve? Not sure if it’d help

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a long shot but have you considered the Pickup coil? When they go bad they will kill the motor once they reach a certain temp. When they cool down it'll start up again and repeat the cycle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a long shot but have you considered the Pickup coil? When they go bad they will kill the motor once they reach a certain temp. When they cool down it'll start up again and repeat the cycle.
Wasn’t able ta check the pressure today, but was told about these coils today? Maybe I’ll try and find one, are they specific or universal?

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Instead of guessing at everything, probably should go through the whole thing and do a complete tune up on it so you know exactly what you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine runs badly. Lets assume the engine itself is sound, compression is good, no intake manifold leaks, valve issues, etc
Let us not forget AirFuelSpark is the name…
-Air
Seems easy right? Of course the engine has air. But not so easy. Is the filter clean? Can it flow sufficient air? Intake leaks? Pcv functional? Does Pcv stay in correct position for idle speeds? Do we have a vacuum leak in distributor advance? would like to know fuel pressure?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok back again with update,
so I cool wrapped fuel lines and changed alternator belt and topped off coolant but still having issues! Seemed alright for a couple day’s but didn’t quite drive it long enuff for it ta get hot/boil. So today I replaced pump ta block fuel line with a braided hose and check valve hoping that’ll help. Because I believe I’ve got some serious Vapor lock issues going on plus he’s got me running 90 octane rec fuel which is expensive as hell and hard ta find! Ready ta switch to premium 93 gas? Or lower? Maybe that’ll burn slower?? but would appreciate any advice again because new ta the old vintage!
thx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s the part dude I bought it from plan’s on it installing but there’s already a Blk plastic spacer!

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
I've had the same issue before, the spacer helped a lot but the surrounding heat from the intake still was an issue, put the shield on and all was good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts