Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have photos of a 75-79 dash removed from the car?

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Check out Philip's build. He documented just about everything he did to rebuild his 1977 Nova. Including a custom hand made dash full of gauges.

Big Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mainly the cluster portion but anything you have would be sweet

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Matt!

Your best bet is going to be out of a wrecked four door parts car; as they are not currently reproduced. If you envision A/C in your future, cut out everything from below the wind shield to the top of the toe boards as even the fire wall is different in an A/C car beside the obvious inclusion of vents in an A/C car dash. If you find one in a bone yard have them torch the entire firewall assembly cutting through the A pillars and floor boards and torching the door hinges. That way you get the under dash wiring, all of the vents and ducts, dash pad, ash tray, knobs, and all of the junk still in the glove box. You can go back and surgically remove what you are going to splice into your car with a cut off wheel later. Just be real sure not to put the old cars VIN on your car by mistake as you could loose your car doing that.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Did you drop the steering column? Also need to disconnect the speedometer cable. To access the cable go under the car and remove the 2 clamps holding it to the subframe, then push the cable up into the car from the bottom. This will allow the dash to come out far enough to reach behind it and release the clip holding the cable to the speedometer. Then unplug the main harness, wiper and headlight switch wiring.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt what year? 69 - 76 are interchangeable, just slight differences in grain pattern. 77 - 79 are different. The early years reproduction parts are available, not for the 77 - 79.
Phillip I just reread this. Am I understanding correctly that thw entire dash is the same for 69 to 75? If so I may rethink putting the 77 dash in the 75. I wanted to do so because the 77 dash is in near perfect shape and setup for ac. But if this is true it may be smarter to get reproduction parts and retro fit an into it? Sounds like I can order a new dash pad for the 75 fairly easy and for the cluster I'll probably build a custom one anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The dash pads differ in the leather grain pattern on the plastic dash pad from year to tear but all will interchange from 1969-'76. The instrument clusters themselves differ cosmetically (the lay out of the gas gauge location or the heat and vent controls going horizontally in some years vertically in others so that the steel dash behind and under everything had holes in different locations (but a hole saw and a jig saw can change that along with a welder and some sheet stock to fill the old holes if needed).

A/C complicates the issue with a hole bunch of new holes in the dash under lay and the dash lay out. The A/C heater control hole is bigger as the control head. is larger.

Need pictures or a better explanation of what you are trying to do.

Big Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ask because I have a dash pad in perfect condition that was from a 77 AC car but was not sure if it would fit due to the metal part underneath... the car its going on is a 75 NON AC car that I want to put AC in.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The pad will fit in place but the A/C vents are in the wrong place. Much easier and probably going to be cheaper in the long run to just by the correct replacement parts and install them.

Hollander list their parts interchange numbers based upon it being an easy bolt in replacement. They aren't telling you that you can not put a V-8 CAT diesel engine out of a Peter Built in your Chevy Tahoe. They are just saying it won't be a bolt in economical (labor is money) replacement and it might take a little machine work or fabrication to do it which is why they don't list it as an interchange.

Big Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.