Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im new here. I wanted to share my project. Its a 73 Nova Hatchback that I have had for years. Recently my I had some medical issues (abdomanal surgary) that put me off of work for 2 months. I was going stir crazy, so I snuck out to the garage and started sanding on my old nova when I got some strength back up. I had seen another nova done by speed tech that I really liked, they fabricated a 69 Camaro frount end on there project car. I have to admit, I loved my nova, but the big fat bumpers on the 73 were chrome only a mother would love... Anyway I figured how hard could it be right? The photo's that follow is my project to date....

Mocked up and figuring out what to do next...

Finally got it welded up and primered...

now what to do with the gap between the grill and valance?

Here is some white trim I had laying around to see what a cove molding would look like.

I fabricated some 3" steel tubing ripped into 1/3rds to make a cove, welded tabs to bolt the 72 stock nova grill on her. Added a center hump to match the hood, and cut and tig welded some sheet metal boxes under the headlight buckets.

Now I need to finish painting the rest of the car. I am planning on taking the stripes thru the front spoiler. Not sure on if Im going to go with black grill or paint it puter....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made some good progess, the stripes are done. I ended up laying a coat of gloss black over the grill and bezels, I figered I could go back and strip the top and bottom rails. But she is comming together. I am very happy with the conversion.
If anybody has any idea's on the rear I am game.
I was thinking of:
1. Tucking and sectioning the bumper, and intigrading the exhaust into the bumper,
2. Getting a 69 or 70 camaro rear tail panel, tail lights and bumper. I do like the whole rollpan style, however with it being a hatchback it would be tricky, but doable.

3. Just Bolt the stock bumper on and call it good! I want to drive this girl!
Still need to clear and wetsand but I had to set the lights and grill in place for motivational purposes!

·
Registered
537 Posts
That looks really good! Grab some pics when you have all the chrome on there. :)

I made some good progess, the stripes are done. I ended up laying a coat of gloss black over the grill and bezels, I figered I could go back and strip the top and bottom rails. But she is comming together. I am very happy with the conversion.
If anybody has any idea's on the rear I am game.
I was thinking of:
1. Tucking and sectioning the bumper, and intigrading the exhaust into the bumper,
2. Getting a 69 or 70 camaro rear tail panel, tail lights and bumper. I do like the whole rollpan style, however with it being a hatchback it would be tricky, but doable.

3. Just Bolt the stock bumper on and call it good! I want to drive this girl!
Still need to clear and wetsand but I had to set the lights and grill in place for motivational purposes!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
After seeing this, anything you do will look great. I vote for 1 or 2 though just because the front came out so perfect...Jack

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Has Primedia got wind of your body work yet. I see a cover story in your Novaro.

Time for a road trip to South Carolina for a photo spread at South of the Border. Put a muy grande sombrero on the roof, with a woven poncho hanging out the door and try and figure out how you can get your hood to hold a tapered bitter black Italian cigar as you light it to the sounds of Ennio Morricone's music playing in the background.

http://hollywoodprop.com/spaghettiponchos.htm

Big Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Dave, Who is primedia?

Here are some more pics of the progress,
Next its time to move on to stance and finish details and ohhh yea interior...

The tires are 245/50 19's I dont know what to go to in the front they need to go smaller for sure. 215 or 205? Any suggestions?
The lowering of the rear should be simple, it has huge shackles from its hot rod owners past. I am planning on fabricating something a bit shorter.
What is the best way (on a budget) to lower the front?

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
You ever e-mail Johnny Hunkins at Source Inter-Link Media your photographs? As publisher he is always looking for new material to print in the Primedia mags that bought out Petersen Publishing. Your car looks like a prime candidate for a cover shot. He is a member of this board but he doesn't read it much, just when he wants something specific.

[email protected].

Big Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I would show the latest modification... Behind the grill turn signal/parking lights. These are the leftover rear camaro tail lights with a cusutom clear lense inplace of the red lenses. I blacked out the top of the lense to give it more sinister eyes... I am planning on playing around RGB Leds inside the housing. I think it would look very mean if they were green.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I would post a followup and show the almost finished project. Here it is minus the emblems and some buffing to finish up on.
I ditched the 2011 Camaro Wheels and went back to the classic SS wheel, I think it looks better on this car. I still need to adress the suspension and motor, however I will have to wait until time and funds are free for that, for now I just want to drive her. You should see the looks the car gets... Priceless!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.