Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orig 350 car but not an SS and the throttle cable is too long. It has an edb. intake and holley carb and wen I got the car it wouldn't even go 1/2 throttle. I had a leftover holley throttle and kickdown bracket I used to replace what was on there but still had 3/4" of slop in the cable. Fixed that at the gas pedel by shortening the cable.

Now the problem is the casing from the firewall is too long, as well a strand or 2 of the cable itself has broken. If this hadn't happened I could just put the other throttle bracket back and shorten the cable at the pedel some more.

For a replacement was there more than one cable available? It would really be nice to buy one that fits correct but with the aftermarket carb and intake I realize that may not happen...

Comments? What did you do? I'm sure this is a common problem...

TIA,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Steve. My bracket is the same as the one you show when fully extended. The one that came on the car is a bit shorter but not as short as the one you link to will get... I'll keep it in mind, I stopped by the Chevy dealer and they will have a new GM cable for a '72 350 4bbl for me by Wed. Funny what is available over the counter when a parts guy opens a book before going to the computer...

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Dennis it might be better to order one for an engine that came from the factory with a Holley 4 bbl. The cable length is different because of the postion of the throttle levers between the Q-jet and the Holley. Probably one from a Z-28 (302 with Holley) would be just right.
Just an FYI but the 2bbl cable is also different.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Philip -
you are right there are several different cables I have found... I asked for a 350 4bbl for a '72 Nova but don't think the SS came with a holley. I figured my 350 came with a 2bbl orig, I may be incorrect in both cases not 100% up on the Nova yet. In the Camaro world, in '69 only the I6 got a cable all V8s got hard linkage... At some point the 2nd gen Camaro had a cable,that operated a Holley, I think it was 1 big block and the LT-1 in 1970 but I am not 100%.

I have 2 brackets to work with so the big issue is the length of casing between the mount bracket and the screw mount on the firewall. Worst case, with a new Cable I can cut the crimp'd end off at the gas pedel and remove the casing and shorten it. With the broken strands and frayed end on my existing cable I fear I would be asking for trouble if I tried it.

I looked at several parts catalogs and some only show a 6cyl cable others show 3, a V8 4bbl, V8 2bbl and an I6.

Thanks and anymore ideas or thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just for fun I checked my Hollander interchange book to see which Novas and Camaros came with a Holley 4150 as stock.

Nova- 1968 396
69 396
70 396 402

Camaro- 68 302 396
69 302 396
70 396 402

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to ask about the '68 - '70 396 and see if it used a cable when I go to pick up the one I ordered tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I don't believe the throttle cable assy started until about mid 69. The prior ones had all mechanical linkage like my 69 had. If you can get a cable one for a 70 with a 396 and a Holley I would think you would be ok. By the way, it was my understanding that they went to the throttle cable unit because the mechanical linkage was sticking and jamming due to engine torque. Don't know if this is true, but I have heard it from several different sources.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quik - the stuck throttle was caused by broken engine mounts prior to interlocking mounts. Many Chevys got recalled and had a cable assembly wrapped around the drivers side engine mount as a fix. The cable throttle may have spawned off the deal though, who knows...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parts counter called, the cable is in... I had him check on the 69/70 396 and he said it came back as the same part... Don't think he was blowing smoke, the guy has a blown '69 Camaro and his daughter has a really nice 70 El Camino...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a '71 nova that was a six cyl. I have put a 350 in it and ordered a new throttle cable. The company I ordered it from only offered " '68-'75 Nova V8 - All 4BBL - 2nd design". I have a Holley 3310 and an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold. I'm using the "Holley" 4bbl bracket also. I also can not get full throttle, the cable seems about 3/4'' too long. I really do not want to cut down this brand new cable. Hopefully someone can point in the right direction for the proper set-up and I'll sell this cable if I don't end up using it on E-bay. Please help!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You could try the Lokar cables. they come with plenty of cable etc for adjustment. The instructions are really easy. I did it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a '71 nova that was a six cyl. I have put a 350 in it and ordered a new throttle cable. The company I ordered it from only offered " '68-'75 Nova V8 - All 4BBL - 2nd design". I have a Holley 3310 and an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold. I'm using the "Holley" 4bbl bracket also. I also can not get full throttle, the cable seems about 3/4'' too long. I really do not want to cut down this brand new cable. Hopefully someone can point in the right direction for the proper set-up and I'll sell this cable if I don't end up using it on E-bay. Please help!
Thanks!!
I have a 72 SS 383 with a Q-Jet and had the same problem with the new cable I ordered from year- one, it fit ok but it wouldn't open the carb WOT, so I tied a knot in the cable where it attaches in the gas pedal hole and it is now perfect! one little knot did the trick if you want I'll try to show you pictures, but my back is bad so you have to let me know or I cant get the pics. Hope it works for you like it did for me! Good luck (you can see pics of my car/engine in the showroom)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.