Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 72 nova for about 4 years now. At first it didnt do this but recentlly I have noticed a very annoying 'chirping' sound that increases with speed and decreases as such as well. It does not get effected by engine RPMs so I know its not my monster tach. I googled it for a while and people say its possiblly a speedo cable or gear issue. What do the Nova experts think and how should I fix it?

background, its a small block 355 with a two year old 700R4 conversion. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Jesse Jeff wasn't blowing bird seed up your way. The cable is bad and needs to be replaced. If you ever get another 50,000 miles on your new cable pull the core and soak it in graphite powder then stick it back into the sheath. If there is any trans fluid on the old cable replace the O-ring in the gear housing as well as that is what caused your last cable to fail (tranny fluid is pumped up to the speedometer heat by the cable turning just like an Archimedes screw). They are supposed to be dry lubricated not oiled.

Big Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, much help! Is that a painful process? Ive never changed a speedo cable before but Im sure I can find some info on here or online. Any prices for parts or good referances?

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Unscrews from both ends. You can do it without any tools (other than a drive on rack or a jack and set of jack stands to get you safely under the car for the tranny side), though you will need some flexibility to get under the dash.

I am so large the seat had to come out for me to get under the dash to work on anything.

Big Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
Had the same issue in my 71' chevelle. I replaced the sPeedo cable and also the gears and it im not sure which one fixed i was just sure ididnt wana have to do it again lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts