Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have installed a big block in my 1971 Nova and seem to have a space problem for header on the drivers side. This is due to the limited space between the block and the steering box. I've been told I will have to remove the motor mount bolt on the drivers side, jack up the engine and put the header on. Anyone run into this problem before and if so, what headers did you use? I'm considering just adding exhaust manifolds but not my first choice. Thank You...... e-mail, [email protected]

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Looks like you are putting a BBC in place of a SBC. The BBC has different chassis frame pedestals that moves the engine over towards the passenger side one inch. It requires the chassis stands, a different Z-bar for the clutch if you are using a manual tranny, and other parts unique to the big block to make it fit (such as the heater core box, radiator, front springs, sway bar, radiator shroud, fan blade, starter motor, fuel line, and fuel pump, etc).

If you have all of the correct parts the headers should fit, provided you do not also have A/C, or for some model of header tubes, P/S.

Big Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just swapped a big block into my 72 and it fit fine because I swapped out the frame mounts. It shifts the centerline of the engine over towards passenger side just a tad. Change out those and you'll be okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts