Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time to the track with this car using BF Goodrich drag Radials at 18 psi.

This was a Team Chevelle get together at Denton TX. We froze are butts and had a great get together anyway.The Mystery Inards of this new Nova did the following
.6675 reaction
1.9636 60 ft.
5.4146 330'
8.3118 1/8th
85.82 mph

454 ci with a little lope

high unknown stall

quarter shift auto turbo 350

410 rear

As I upgrade parts I will learn whats in her. Im thinkng aluminum heads and MT et streets down the road. and upgrading all the supporting hardware. What do you think Tampa Man?

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad to see you at the Denton drags. That new Nova of yours looks very nice, great score. Yes it was a little chilly but how cool was it to see John lay down that 6.07 pass and to eat the Chesseburgers and Brats over great bench racing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
M/T radials are definately a good choice for hooking, and the aluminum heads will drop some weight off the nose. Good luck getting even faster!

Derek

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the notes. Johns car was most impressive. Wondered if he has looked at running in the USA's " Fastest street car" competion. He would have to drive from comp cams parking lot 32 miles to the track. If he could do that with his set up he would be near the top.Those Chevelles were all real street warriors. I was about the slowest at 8.3 in the 1/8th.

Any links to pump gas 454 builds with aluminum heads would be appreciated. Any data on exact weight savings dumping the iron heads? I heard it puts you within 25lbs of a cast iron small block?

THANKS

Scott

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Not quiet that close but you can get to within about 120 pounds with aluminum top end and water pump, save another 14 pounds with a gear drive mini starter.

Reduce your torque converter from the 11" down to a 10" for the street, or 9" for serious street strip and you shave off the rest of the weight so it is the same as a "stock" SBC.

Things like headers keep you even with the SBC if they swap their cast iron exhaust for headers, and you do too; yours are still bigger than theirs. But anything that the BBC can do, the SBC can do cheaper, with smaller lighter parts so you can never win this "arms race" to loose weight.

Big Dave (uses rusted looking aluminum fasteners with fiberglass components that are distressed to look like old sheet metal parts with paint let them keep their small blocks I'll loose weight elsewhere just not off my waist).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Scott,

What exactly do you wish to know about aluminum headed 454's? The Edelbrock RPM's and the Comp Cams XE 274 make a great street driven combo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts