Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone direct me where I can find an electrical schematic for the light switch in a 66 Nova? Not necessarily the wire colors, but what each pin is supposed to be (i.e B+, ground, lights, running lights, dome light, etc). Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,470 Posts
Most of the wiring schematics do not show terminal position only wire color and gauge.
If you can't figure it out let me know. I can do it, but it would be awhile. The Mrs. had back surgery so I have become the maid, the cook and toilet cleaner as well as the bread winner until she recovers more. :D

·
Administrator
9,470 Posts
Good luck being the "woman" of the house.
Even though you are calling me names I'll still help :D

Disregard the previous post. I was kinda wrong. Any way I'll start with this photo which came out good enough to see the numbers on the switch.

The terminal in the white area is the dome light. When the switch is turned fully counterclockwise this terminal powers the dome light.
#1 Battery power
#2 Panel lamps. This goes to the fuse box and thru the panel lamps fuse then to the instrument cluster.
#3 unused (but jumpered to 4 for unknown reasons)
#4 Tail lamps
#5 Park lamps front
#6 Headlamps actually goes to dimmer switch
#7 Park lamps for pre 68 cars (Terminal not shown on this switch but this position goes off when headlamp position is selected on pre 68 vehicles)

This switch is from a 72 El Camino. Notice the ground wire sticking out of the switch where it mounts to the dash. Cars with plastic mount areas had some sort of grounding point for the metal mount area of the switch, this one is a brass washer with a wire that fits on the switch mount. When the switch is mounted into a metal dash be sure the area of contact is clean metal. Paint or corrosion will cause problems with the circuit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. This is exactly what I was looking for. My dome light stays on all the time, so based on your info, I'm sure it's hooked up to the wrong circuit on the switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts