Chevrolet Novas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 nova with CPP mustang ll front end with power rack. Does anyone know how to check caster angle on this setup and more importantly, how to adjust caster angle? Also, does anyone have the proper specs for caster angle for this front end. I was told by the tech person at CPP that the unit I purchased left the factory with a 0 caster angle, and I should be looking at 3-5* of positive caster angle, but cannot figure out how to achieve it. The guy says, loosen the ball joint and it should slide forward or back for adjustments. Don’t understand how that would work.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha, was easier than I thought! Was told the ball joint could be moved and the upper ball joint has flats on it so theoretically a wrench will fit it, but I haven’t tried to loosen it yet. I am trying to get some input before attempting to do that....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the caster angle adjusted? I see no way that the upper a arm or upper ball joint can be moved to alter the caster angle. I was told the front frame assembly is built at the factory with 0 caster angle. Would like to get 1-2* positive caster according to tech at CPP. Any ideas, or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
You can't move the ball joint itself, you use shims on the control arm mounting studs, add/remove shims on either side to move the ball joint forward or back, I use one of these to adjust, very easy to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Below is a visual example of positive caster.

You can't see it unless the wheel is turned sharply.

Upper ball joint must move back or the lower forward to achieve it.

Positive caster provides greater steering stability at speed.

Turning effort is increased while steering at rest.

Negative caster promotes wandering at speed.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Randy,
Thank you for replying to my dilemma! So shimming under the front or rear a arm mounting bolt to move the upper ball joint forward or rearward is the answer. Any idea what thickness to shim to obtain a positive 2-2.5* caster angle? I have a similar caster/camber tool that you had in your post.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I have been trying to get this info for quite a long time! Really appreciate the help.....

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Depends on how much Caster you have now, That's trial and error on that, take a measurement first and see what you have then take a guess at what you think you'll need and put it in and tighten it up, roll the car back and forth a bit a few times for it to settle and take a measurement and go from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts