Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these compatible with a 71 Nova? I have located some, and wasn't sure if they would fit. Let me know if I'm wasting my time.

thanks

So-Cal Jack

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Philip!! I am more concerned if it will be a straight swap. Right now I have drums up front, so if the 66 Chevelle brakes will be compaible with no problems...I'll be happy.

It will be going on a 71 stock front end.

So-cal Jack

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Philip,

Thank you for the information. Since there might be a possibility of me purchasing these brakes, I will be looking into this in more detail.

As for now, (after you confirmed my question..THANK YOU) I believe the parts will be....the calipers, rotors, spindles, and brake lines. I'm hoping these are all the parts I will need????????

So-Cal Jack

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Get the backing plates and if possible the frame brackets that anchor the flex lines because the disc brake hoses have a different size fitting. Also get the master cylinder and proportioning valve.
On thing I need to mention is that the first disc brakes available on Chevelles was in 67. The 67 and 68 models used a 4 piston fixed caliper set up with 2 piece rotors. If the set is a single piston sliding caliper it will be from a 69-72 and all will have bolt on steering arms. If the arms are cast into the spindle they are not going to be a direct fit onto your Nova.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Get the backing plates and if possible the frame brackets that anchor the flex lines because the disc brake hoses have a different size fitting. Also get the master cylinder and proportioning valve.
On thing I need to mention is that the first disc brakes available on Chevelles was in 67. The 67 and 68 models used a 4 piston fixed caliper set up with 2 piece rotors. If the set is a single piston sliding caliper it will be from a 69-72 and all will have bolt on steering arms. If the arms are cast into the spindle they are not going to be a direct fit onto your Nova.
Beat me to the reply here! If you can get this stuff for cheap, I'd sell it and use the funds to put the 69-later correct stuff on your ride.

Derek

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took a set off of a 72 nova and they bolted up on my 66 chevelle with no modifications other than changing the steering knuckle ,You might want to change the proportioning valve, I did, I was afraid the drum might be diffrent.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Phillip has it right here. The 66 Chevelle was not available with disc brakes. If you have single piston calipers all will be well for your swap as they are the same from 69-72 on the GM A, F and X bodies.

Good Luck Jack :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the information. The setup has single piston calipers with brake lines, no proportioning valve or master cylinder, rotors and spindles. Are these able to clear 14x6 stock front Ralley wheels? What does the diameter have to be?

So-Cal Jack

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Philip,

Thank you for your time and information. I will have to look at my wheels to see if they are level or angled. However, I just found out that the disc brake set did not have any backing plates or proportioning valve/master cylinder. So I am a little hesitant on pursueing this. What do you think? Is it more of a headache, or can I find replacement parts for cheap?

Thanks

So-Cal Jack

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Jack Ground Up sells the backing plates for $40 each, they also sell a mini kit consisting of the backing plates, new spindles and caliper mounts for $169. Calipers, hoses, master cylinder and pads are all easy to find new at local parts stores. I may have a proportioning valve in one of the parts cars that you can have for free.
Here is the link to the mini kit. click here

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Philip,

Thank you for your time and information. I haven't had a chance to take a peek at my 14" front wheels to check for clearance. However, I did manage to find someone selling 70 NovaSS spindles and backing plates. Are these 14" rim compatible....if....the rims are the disc brake style? I have been told that 15" rims are the only size that will fit.

So-Cal Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.