Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have had this car since 97, and some of the parts are just sitting.
I have the roof rack, original hood, original radio (still works), original steering wheel, the 283 power pack head valve covers (I have gone rounds with a dude over him telling me I am wrong, but they are the offset design where the bolts go, and I have corvette valve covers on the car) and the 2 barrel intake and carb. Hate to ask, but what would this stuff be worth? I appreciate the help.
Thanks!

· Premium Member
17,568 Posts
Welcome to the Team Adam!

The offset bolt holes where only used in 1955-'56. With the introduction of the 283 in 1957 Chevy went to the bolt holes being directly across from each other. Since Power Pack heads were not introduced until 1956 on the first four barrel equipped SBC and 1956 was the last year for off set valve cover bolt holes those heads are off of a 1956 265 SBC. Valve covers and heads might be worth something to some one restoring a 1956 Chevy.

The other parts would probably only be of interest to the folks on this board or at Steve's (the other Chevy II board), but as to value I have no idea.

Big Dave

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that information. Based off of that, here is the confusion. The engine in the car (283) is the original one from day of purchase. The car was bought at Davidson Chevrolet in Denver Colorado, then my grandparents got it (been in our family since them), so why would my heads be different? I have looked at different pictures, and they are power pack heads, but with the offset bolt design.

· Premium Member
17,568 Posts
If you have an original Chevy II 293 (first introduced in 1964 but had been a dealler installed option as early as 1963) it will have the all important Chevy II block. It is easily distinguished by it's raised oil filter bos and the clutch ball hole drilled and tapped on the oil pan rail instead of above the oil filter like in a standard SBC block.

Here is a picture of the raised oil filter boss with the clutch ball hole just in front of it:

A picture of the specially cast Chevy II only block on an engine stand:

Big Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.