Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i just bought a 62 chevy II nova 400. 4 dr, 194, powerglide, 59k miles

the body is as sweet as can be, i've had it on a lift and can't find rust anywhere on it. it was repainted in the 80s, they could have taped a little better, but it is what it is. interior has repro seats, pushbutton AM radio and a dash pad that i believe is a dealer install. it's been garage kept most of it's life from what i see.

i bought for my daughter to drive, we're in MI, it was in KY. long story short; it didn't make it home. motor puked 3 qts of oil in 1 tank of gas and the tranny refused to go into high, when we parked it and went home to get a dolley to tow it back. currently it has a rod knock, major blowby and excessive valve train rattle (something to do with 3 qts low at hwy speeds maybe?). but the body is good! needless to say, my daughter is mad and will not sit in it again.

will have the motor out early tommorrow to send out for rebuild and will get the tranny checked out too. it has a cheesy pvc set up that i would like to get rid of. my question for you folks is: am i right to assume this car had a road draft tube? if so are there repops being made? anyone know where i could find one?

thanks
Kurt

ps. my other project is a 58 chevy truckrod. frame & drive train 99%. body just started (lots of cancer here)

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the board.

I would consider swapping out the existing 194 for a more modern 250 cid six. I don't think a road draft tube would be the culprit in it's puking three quarts of oil. (sitting for a number of years so that the rings seize to the pistons I would believe, but not the road tube). You can save the original motor as the car is probably a numbers matching car at the moment and i wouldn't want to breakup the set.

The 'glides problem is probably also due to sitting around resting for years as the seals have probably all dried out and crumbled as you drove it. Once again I would swap in a modern 200R4 tranny or a 700R4 in place of the 'glide and set aside the numbers matching parts. Even as a four door the car sounds like a barn find that is probably worth more than you think. Until it has been properly evaluated I wouldn't put it on the road in the winter as a bumper car.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like a nice little project you have. I agree with Dave on putting in a newer 250 engine, but rebuild the power glide if it is just going to be an around town car. 4 doors are nice for hauling around people. I have a 78 4 door I will fix some day. It is a 250 with a 3 speed manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions to put in a 250 but i'll keep the 194. it will be a low mile car and i like the fact that when most people bask "what motor?" they haven't heard of a 194. i owned a 63 chevy II with the same setup 8 yrs ago and enjoyed it as a driver.

your probably right Dave, the rings are seized or broke. the motor has major blowby. i am interested in the road draft tube to get it period correct. the current PCV setup it a combobulation of the end of the old draft tube brazed to a coupling with a PCV valve screwed into it. it is tied into the intake with a stack of fittings and just looks bad.

that said, is there someone making draft tubes for these motors or does someone out there have one they would like to sell? the valve cover has a collar and a clamp for the draft tube.

thanks
Kurt

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
'bout to say the PCV didn't come out until '67. So if it's soldered into your road draft tube currently it is just a big vacuum leak; needs to be in the valve cover. Are you saying someone stuck it into the hole that used to be occupied by the draft tube, and cobbled some means of mounting it there?

Big Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the pcv used the old road draft tube end that stuck in the valve cover. it was cut off, a coupling brazed on, pcv valve screwed in, hose stuck on and connected to a fitting in the intake manifold. it works but looks like crapola. it realy is attrocius looking. therefor the reason I am looking for a draft tube for this 194.
I am assuming the back hole in the valve cover, with the collar and sheetmetal fitting (maybe 1.5 inches in diameter) is where the road draft tube goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
This is dean,are you still looking for pvc down tube for 6 cylinder?I have one if your still needing it make offer...I'am located in wa state

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.