Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked over the old threads on this and excellent pictures but still a little unclear what works.

I have a 454 with no A/C no power brakes and manual steering. The drivers side header is a frog hair from rubbing the steering box but no issues. The engine is centered and appears to have older tall mounts .To keep the same geometry exactly the same what engine and motor mount combo do I need for new parts and everthing still stays the same?

The previous builder seemed to have it right as the only clearance issue is the steering box, but it does clear. When pulling the engine this spring I would like to make sure I have the mounts and newer header issue already figured.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't know about the Novas but The Camaros used an offset motor and tranny mount which shifts them to the side some. I can only guess it will work since they share a lot of parts.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Doug is correct. Both the Camaro and the Nova with a BBC had the motor shifted to the passenger side a full inch to clear the steering gear box. Additionally it raised the centerline of the crank (biased higher on the drivers side) and had a longer Z-bar for the clutch to compensate for the BBC off set.

If you go to Team Camaro and search their archives on BBC conversion there are pages of info with part numbers. Or you could check out Dave Pozzi's excellent web site for additional info on how to hot rod your car and the changes needed to road race with a big block.

Big Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have measured from several points and this 454 seems centered. Maybe 3/8ths more room on the drivers side . Another way of asking the question could someone put a BB in the 70 nova with out BB mounts? The Header tube looks like it was worked a little to clear but not to a great degree.There is about 1/16th clearance to the steering box. Am I missing something?

No Shade Tree engineering jumps out at me as the install seems good overall.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Yes you can mount a BBC in a first generation Camaro and the third generation Nova. It will have all kinds of fitment issues because the people who make the parts you want make them expecting a BBC frame mount (there are exceptions as Doug Thorley Headers offered a set specifically geared for the BB on SB frame stands at one time). You can not expect people to make parts for every contingency so most settle upon a standard. That standard is the way the factory did it, because today there are more correct BBC Camaro/Nova installs than there are surviving back yard conversions. You can still get custom headers made (Lemon's in CA sells anything you want for a fee http://www.lemonsheaders.com/), and as far as that goes there are fabrication shops that can make transmission cross-members or anything else you desire (just expect to pay for your hearts desire).

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
As Dave said it will fit, but with issues. Since yours is a manual steer, manual brake and no AC it will be close but not impossible and if tall mounts were used it affords a litle more room at the steering. Add the booster for the brakes and a power steering gear and the fun begins. Next time your under the hood try and imagine power steering hoses running from the front of the engine to where the box is :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
You Can Still Order Aftermarket Repo Bbc Frame Mounts For These Cars, We Did One A Few Years Back And It Fit Alright, They Are Repo So Its Not Great, But It Also Isnt A Huge Hack Job And It Lines Up Fairly Well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts