Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it is finally done. I have been looking forward to this for a long time. I finally have good brakes.

The Kit...
"Right Stuff" brand 4 wheel power disc brakes, chrome 8" booster w/chrome master. 4 red powder coated disc calipers, drilled slotted rotors, 2" drop front spindles.

First I will have to say I am pretty impressed with this kit. It came with everything you need to do the job, and it bolted up just like clockwork. Take off the old and install the new. The trickiest was getting the adjustment from the booster to the brake pedal right, but again they gave you hardware to cover all the options. You do end up with quite an assortment of extra parts when you are done. The rear calipers are a little weird to bleed but not hard. You have to unbolt them and rotate them about 20 degrees because the bleeder is not pointed in the up position when installed. Other than that it is a quality value priced system, $1147 from Summit.

I also installed all new stainless lines. They run about $150. This is where the only problems I had occurred. Front lines went on real nice. But when I went to install the front to back line I realized something was wrong. I had the wrong fittings, the line was the wrong length and the pre-bent bends were off. I then looked at the rear axle lines and saw that they were about 2 feet too long. Unfortunately I discovered this in the evening on Friday so I had to wait until Monday to call Right Stuff. I told them what was going on and they immediately said I must have the wrong kit and they would send me another one and just keep the wrong one, not worth sending back. Come to find out the front lines were interchangeable so that worked out good. The front to back went in great but the rear axle lines were still wrong, too long. This time I took things into my own hands and got out the tubing cutter and the flare tool and shortened them myself.
The system bleed out real well and I am a happy Nova addict.

The only other snag I ran into was when I lowered the car off the blocks I saw my wheels were almost touching my wheel well openings. I didn’t see this one coming. I am currently running 225/60/15 on the front on an 8 inch rim with 4.25 backspace. Anyway, I used some of those twisty coil spring blocks to raise the front back up about 1.25 inches and the tires just barely clear. I did this as a band-aid until I can change things more permanently. The rims I’m wanting to use have a 7 inch rim with a 4 inch backspace. I am wanting to go with something like a 195 or 205/50/15. I know this is going to put my headers right on the ground but I will just have to be careful, or, change my mind and go with a taller tire, I guess it could happen.
Like I said, the rims I really want to use is a 7” with either a 3.75” or 4” backspace. The rears are 8” with a 4.25” or 4.5” backspace, with Mickey Thompson ET street radial 275/50-15 or 295/55-15.
Any ideas about front tire for this front rim?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the Right Stuff kit on my 72 Nova. Excellent workmanship and easy installation. Instead of dropped spindles, I used a Hotchkiss TVS kit. Handles excellent.
Also got a quality fuel sender and brake/fuel lines from the Right Stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts