Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 Chevy II originally equipped with a 3 OTT & 194 eng that I want to install a 4 spd that I took from a Pontiac Astra like a Vega style car. the 4 spd has a tall 1st gear that I like, my Vega wound up to 40 mph be for time to shift. This also will be great for my future V8 install. ***I am wondering if I can still retain my Bench seat***. The 4 spd is the same length as the 3 spd so no problems there drive shaft fits also. I can't find the shifter lever & linkage to compare the two shift lever positions. I have it but its MIA. Cutting the floor & welding the new floor shift hump in no problem there ether. Just would like to keep the bench seat. Any one out there came across same problem??? thanks in advance, Jay

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
A lot of cars from the 60's had bench seats with 60's. Muncie for one. I would bet if you look around you could find a Muncie sifter handle from a bench seat car. I dont know id this correct but I would bet Hurst probably makes one.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
A bench seat shifter will look like a big letter "C".

It attaches to the shifter under the front edge of the seat runs out about six inches and then bends ninety degrees straight up after about a foot or so it bends again to come back towards the seat. I had two different Hurst shifters with my 427 powered '55 Chevy 150 coupes that had a bench seat (one solid orange painted car whose seat was covered in black Naugahyde that often left blisters when I got in the car).

Big Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A bench seat shifter will look like a big letter "C".

It attaches to the shifter under the front edge of the seat runs out about six inches and then bends ninety degrees straight up after about a foot or so it bends again to come back towards the seat. I had two different Hurst shifters with my 427 powered '55 Chevy 150 coupes that had a bench seat (one solid orange painted car whose seat was covered in black Naugahyde that often left blisters when I got in the car).

Big Dave
I would like to use the original style finger lift up lock out lever that the original shift lever has. Could this be gotten from a after market co, your big "C" description for the bench type lever?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a 64 Chevy II originally equipped with a 3 OTT & 194 eng that I want to install a 4 spd that I took from a Pontiac Astre like a Vega style car. the 4 spd has a tall 1st gear that I like, my Vega wound up to 40 mph be for time to shift. This also will be great for my future V8 install. ***I am wondering if I can still retain my Bench seat***. The 4 spd is the same length as the 3 spd so no problems there drive shaft fits also. I can't find the shifter lever & linkage to compare the two shift lever positions. I have it but its MIA. Cutting the floor & welding the new floor shift hump in no problem there ether. Just would like to keep the bench seat. Any one out there came across same problem??? thanks in advance, Jay
One thing to keep in mind is the Astre shifter was mounted to the floor, not the transmission like the Chevy II 4 speed shifter was. You can buy a reproduction bench seat shifter for your Chevy II but you will likely have to drill the holes in the trans tailhousing to mount it. I think the bosses are in the tailhousing, the holes are just not drilled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I'll have to look into that for fitment issues. Finely found the shifter & linkage & will put together to see how it mounts to the trans or wear ever/ how it mounts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive lighting

Muncie/hurst came out of a 70 Camaro and I put it in my 65 4dr. I just cut a hole in the hump and put it in. I found a piece of thick metal and made it to fit the stick so it wouldn't hit my seat. I put a special boot on it too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I just reread the original post. The four speed in question is not an American made Muncie (designed for high horse American V8's) nor the weaker but similarly American made Saginaw (designed for the as powerful as a Porsche; Corvair flat six), but an Opel transmission (a German GM car division). It will not last a week behind the V8.

Big Dave

·
Registered
386 Posts
This also will be great for my future V8 install. Jay
Can you be more specific as to what V8 you plan to do? Stock 350? 283? Stroker engine with 400 horsepower?

As Dave suggested, that should be a consideration. GM never put a Saginaw in anything too powerful. Some low horse stock 350's, 327's, 283's but no high performance applications.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you be more specific as to what V8 you plan to do? Stock 350? 283? Stroker engine with 400 horsepower?

As Dave suggested, that should be a consideration. GM never put a Saginaw in anything too powerful. Some low horse stock 350's, 327's, 283's but no high performance applications.
I never said how much HP will be in my V8 but if you have to know that trans will accept just under 300 HP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts