Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I picked up a 78 4 door to use as a donor car for my 75 project. The body ia almost perfect, there is a small dent between the wheel opening and rear door on the right side and thats about all of the damage. I wanted the front fenders and bumpers for my car and maybe to sell enough of the rest to break even. It is a base model car, 250/3 on the tree, but it has some interesting options. It has the heavy duty cooling system, a big radiator and large opening on the core support. I know it is factory because the emission label is still intact and the fan shroud is much smaller than the V8 . There is also an 8.5" differential under the car. Unless the factory ran out of 7.5" it had to be special ordered or replaced. I haven't checked the numbers on the axle tube, so it may have been replaced at some time. No A/C, no power steering or power brakes. Here are some photos.

Please do not post that you want parts from this car. If I decide to part it out there will be a listing in the classifieds. Thank you

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does drive. I took it for a spin yesterday. Needs some front end parts, brakes, tires, shocks, front seat upholstery and something done with the column shift linkage, it is kinda sloppy. My son was with me on the drive and had never seen a column shifted manual trans, he thought it was stange not to be on the floor.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my son wants me to fix it up and let him drive it. I told him the biggest problem was going to be the shifter. He reminded me I have a 4 speed Saginaw that would fit in it real nice. So it looks like my project will be on hold while we do up this 4 door. Should be a good bonding experience. Get him into the garage and away from video games.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NIGHTSHADE said:
If the tranney is fine just get a floor shifter for it.
2 factors determined the choice of installing the 4 speed. 1st and foremost I already have the trans with a Hurst Comp Plus shifter installed on it so it is a 0 $$ conversion and 2nd the car with the 250 L6 would benefit from the 3.5:1 first gear ratio of the 4 speed. Here is a photo of the 3 speed and 4 speed side by side, I could not believe they looked almost identical. Can you tell which is the 3 speed?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Philip said:
2 factors determined the choice of installing the 4 speed. 1st and foremost I already have the trans with a Hurst Comp Plus shifter installed on it so it is a 0 $$ conversion and 2nd the car with the 250 L6 would benefit from the 3.5:1 first gear ratio of the 4 speed. Here is a photo of the 3 speed and 4 speed side by side, I could not believe they looked almost identical. Can you tell which is the 3 speed?

It looks like the blue one has three rings/grooves on the input shaft (which would make it a 4 speed with a 3.50 first gear ratio) Sooo that would mean the one that isnt blue is the three speed;) :)

G

·
ok, here's a harder one ta get... Mr Smarty Pants :;)

"what number am i holding behind my back ???" :rolleyes: :D

"Survey says"... ERRRRRRRRRR !!! "WRONG ANSWER !!!" :eek: :eek: ;) :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts