Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

3310 carbs on a tunnel Ram

8K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  gasser1963 
#1 ·
Ok I suspect I know the answer to this but can you set up a tunnel ram on a fairly wild 355SBC or 396SBC running a pair of 3310 carbs?

Please be gentle....lol

#33 ·
While tunnel rams and 2 carbs stickin through the hood looks cool to most it is really not needed unless you are making serious power.

Tunnel ram carbs have also come a long way as there are now many choices for this application.

My carb theory is this....a motor is only going to draw as much cfm as is needed. If jetted and tuned properly it is difficult to "over carb" a motor unless you are just going way overboard. Back in the mid 50's two 4 bbl carbs were common on motors making anywhere from 270 to 450 horse.

But....like i said...things have come a long way. I have always run double pumpers and dominators myself on high velocity single plane intakes. An 1150 dominator can easy support over 1000 hp. It can also support and run well on a 700 horse motor. There are some application varibles in the mix that can only be learned through experience....i.e. trial and error.

#35 · (Edited)
run the holley 450 cfm mech secondary carbs-that would be 900 cfm-and that is still a bit(just a bit)too big for your motor combo,in my opinion !!!!
you start throwing to much cfm on top the tunnel ram,and you will pull all your hair out trying to cure the overly rich condition it will produce-

go slightly bigger on cfm for the tunnel ram than the cfm you would run on a good single carb manifold-like 100 cfm or so bigger---JMO this will be street driven correct?

wilder big inch combos will benefit from two 650s, 750s ,900s,dominators and such.

I think vac secondary carbs suck(no pun intended) for any application-guess im just a mech sec guy,never had luck with vac secondarys,and Im a decent carb tuner!!!:D

Just dont seem to be as responsive as the mech sec carbs-even when tuned correctly-tunnel ram,single plane,or dual plane

ALL IN ALL,A GOOD SET UP,CORRECT SIZE, SINGLE CARB WILL MAKE AS MUCH OR MORE HORSE POWER THAN A TUNNEL RAM--ALLMOST ALWAYS,
WELL, SOMETIMES:yes:

gasser bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.