Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that it was necessary to raise my engine about 2 inches off the motor mounts, and loosen my oil pan in order to remove the timing cover to change the camshaft. All because of the lip of the timing cover and gasket. How can I tell if I have a 2 piece cover? Does it have a certain appearance or distinguishing marks?...can I feel for something?? I am hoping to avoid the task of lifting my engine...if it's possible. Is there another way around this if I don't have a 2 piece timing cover?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

So-Cal (novice) Jack

·
Registered
627 Posts
there are little tabs that connect under (block side) the timing cover seal..you dont need to lift your motor..just goop it real good with silicone right before you tighten the pan back up..the two piece timing cover is a nice cover to use when your replacing your cams often..this makes your install alot easier..i bought a one piece oil pan gasket from felpro..its one of the best things ive ever bought
heres a pic of the two piece cover

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you get a two piece cover before teardown you won't have to touch your pan. remove the original cover the replace it in sequence with the two piece.
the two piece inner portion will install without loosening the pan.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information. I was just wondering if there is a way to tell if I have a two piece timing cover on my engine. I'm trying to save myself from the extra work of a 1 piece, if I do in fact have the 2 piece.

so-cal Jack

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Though the three piece is much more expensive initially; it allows you to swap a cam without even pulling the harmonic damper off. Just unbolt the water pump and retension belts when done. You can swap a cam between runs in the pits if you wanted to. Here is a picture of one on a SBC 406.

Big Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts