Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Energy Suspension urethane body mount kit that I am waiting to install. It does NOT come with bolts.

Apparently, the recommended process is to reuse the old bolts. I'm sure they would work fine assuming they don't get damaged in removal, but that seems really stupid to me given that someone replacing he bushings is looking to restofy the car. Who wants the old, rusty bolts or possibly even stripped, ugly bolts in there?

In my searches I found this kit:

But that's for a 67-69 Camaro. I can't find a similar kit from anyone for a 4th Gen Nova. Does anyone know if such a kit is available or if the bolts from another model are the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
should be the same
You would think so since so many parts are the same between F & X bodies. However, if that were the case (or if nobody can confirm) why wouldn't they sell them as for Novas as well?

The GM part number for positions 2 & 3 (subframe mid and rear...not the radiator support) for the 75-79 Nova is: 368141. Depending on where you look it's a 5/8-11 by either 3" or 4" long.

The GM part number for 76-81 Camaros is: 368142. That is the same diameter and thread pitch, but it says 3 1/8th" long.

Frankly, I would THINK those would be interchangeable, especially if you went with a 4" bolt because there is space there. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there are any gotchas the part number doesn't tell us. Compared to regular hardware the bolts have somewhat pointed noses on them which I'm sure helps guide the bolt in place when installing.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Well, I guess since the Nova is pretty much a Camaro except for the body they just condense it all into one, but they should mention Nova in the listings I would think, if you buy suspension parts it will be Camaro too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you buy suspension parts it will be Camaro too
I was wondering about that just today actually........I know a lot of the parts are interchangable and I thought about getting tubular control arms. Nobody makes them (that I found) for a 75-79 Nova. If there is a Camaro kit would they fit? Don't know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I put Poly body/frame cushions on my '68 El Camino, I just bought socket-head cap screws from Fastenall, along with "heavy duty" fender washers. The "heavy duty" fender washers were Chinese crap, they distorted a bit when the bolts were tightened. I'd have used something better/stronger if I could have sourced a higher-quality alternative.

Use the old bolts as a guide for suitable length.

Don't forget the anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts. Adjust torque spec downward due to the lubricant effect of the anti seize. I installed at 80% of torque spec. Drive the car a couple days--over rough roads, railroad crossings, etc. Then re-check torque on the bolts. At least for "A-Body" there's a (lower) spec for retained torque once the vehicle has been driven a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I put Poly body/frame cushions on my '68 El Camino, I just bought socket-head cap screws from Fastenall, along with "heavy duty" fender washers. The "heavy duty" fender washers were Chinese crap, they distorted a bit when the bolts were tightened. I'd have used something better/stronger if I could have sourced a higher-quality alternative.

Use the old bolts as a guide for suitable length.

Don't forget the anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts. Adjust torque spec downward due to the lubricant effect of the anti seize. I installed at 80% of torque spec. Drive the car a couple days--over rough roads, railroad crossings, etc. Then re-check torque on the bolts. At least for "A-Body" there's a (lower) spec for retained torque once the vehicle has been driven a bit.
Thanks. I still don't know for sure what size they are. I really wanted to have the bolts in hand before I took out the old ones.

I always use never-seize on stuff like that. I don't know what the torque spec is for my 77 Nova, but that shouldn't be too difficult to find out. I have the repair manual....;)

Did you have any issue getting the old ones out? I know you were working on a frame car, but I'd imagine the principle is the same. Any helpful advice? I'm working on the ground so anything to make it less painful is appreciated!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you have any issue getting the old ones out? I know you were working on a frame car, but I'd imagine the principle is the same. Any helpful advice? I'm working on the ground so anything to make it less painful is appreciated!
I've remembered that we also put Poly subframe-to-body mounts on my Father-In-Law's '77 Firebird. The four bolts zipped right out, no drama at all. Re-used all the hardware, it was in fine condition.

My ElCamino was a different story. Had to cut the body in three places to secure and re-weld the "cage nuts" holding the bolts. Many of the bolts had rusted away to a fraction of their original diameter. That car was a real mess. But what an improvement!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've remembered that we also put Poly subframe-to-body mounts on my Father-In-Law's '77 Firebird. The four bolts zipped right out, no drama at all. Re-used all the hardware, it was in fine condition.

My ElCamino was a different story. Had to cut the body in three places to secure and re-weld the "cage nuts" holding the bolts. Many of the bolts had rusted away to a fraction of their original diameter. That car was a real mess. But what an improvement!
Interesting thing is that I now have the nose yanked off the car so I can see the radiator support mounts and the forward most body mount bolts. They are not the same size and in fact the body mount bolt is impressively large!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts