Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I was looking at a 72 nova with an inline 6. The current owner states that this is a factory dual exhaust car, is there such a thing. I'm considering purchasing this car and was just curious. Also someone has taken out the auto trans, and put in a 4 speed muncie. This should be a good candidate for a v8 conversion. Thx for the info.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Never seen or heard of a factory dual exhast on a 6 cyl car. I have had 6 cyl cars with dual exhaust, but I put them on myself. Six bangers with dual exhaust still sound cool to me. If you get the car, check the vin. It is possible it may have been a v8 at one time and someone has installed a 6 over the years but retained and modified the factory dual exhaust .

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with the no dual exhaust on stock 6 cylinders, my 71 has single. Are they straight-pipes? If they are chances are the tank's been modded, a friend of mine did that for straight pipes and it came out pretty sick. Not to get off topic, but my 71's vins read to be a v8 from the factory and I've got the straight six in there now (not by choice), so someone before me may have swapped it or the build was changed. How does the ' 72 look other than that and what's he asking?

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I agree on no factory dual exhaust though I have seen two piece split cast iron exhaust manifolds with two down pipes on sixes to help the exhaust gas reversion problem inherent with a log manifold. They fed into the cat and then into a single exhaust pipe. Just can't remeber if it was on a Chevy six or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts