Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1970 SS 396 wiring question

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
Hi,
I had a minor wiring disagreement with my '70 SS 396. Apparently, several of the engine compartment wires melted due to the heat and shorted out just about everything. One of the wires in particular was completely fried. The insulation has been completely burned off and disconnected. When I pulled the bulkhead connector block, I noticed on the inside cover that each spade is uniquely identified with a pair of letters - the burned wire was connected to spade "BX". I know I can buy a complete engine compartment wiring harness from Painless, but I'm really hoping that I can just pick up the wire I need from Home Depot. I've also left a message for classiccarwiring.com to see if their color coded wiring diagrams have the bulkhead connector wiring identifiers.

Any other suggestions?

#2 ·
The wiring diagrams in the factory manuals are great. It will id the wires from the bulkhead connector. If you do not have a manual I would suggest getting a CD manual from Detroit Iron. Well worth the money for the factory service manual and all the extra info on the CD.

When purchasing wire for the repair watch the quality of the insulation and the strand count of the conductor. Some of the less expensive wire will not be comperable as the factory wires. If possible go to a wrecking yard and pick up an under hood harness from any 70's - 80's GM car or truck and pull the wires and ends out of it to repair your harness.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply - although I've already ordered the classiccarwiring diagram, I'll keep Detroit Iron in mind if I still have a problem. Are the factory manuals that come on the CD's as good as (or better than) the Haynes or Chilton manuals? (I wouldn't call myself experienced - but I know just enough to be dangerous with a wrench..)

Jonathan

#4 ·
The factory manuals are much better than the Haynes and Chilton. These are the same books that the dealerships purchase for the techs to use. A lot of manuals are still available in print from Helm Inc. The 70 is still available and it is the original publication used by GM. The CD's from Detroit are exact copies of the factory manual and are printable so you can take the pages you need out to the shop.
Besides the service and overhaul manuals, there are also the Fisher body manual that covers the entire body assembly and frame with nice drawings and dimensions and the assembly manual that was used at the factory to help guide the workers while the cars were being produced. The Fisher body and the assembly manuals are harder to find. If you have a used book store in your area check it out. I have purchased a lot of the manuals I own from one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.