Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1970 Nova SS 396. I’ve done a 700r swap. It has a holly 750, brackets from Holly #20-95 and bracket #20-121. I’m having trouble hooking up the throttle linkage. Has anyone ever done this or experienced this issue? If so, what do I do to hook up the throttle linkage?

·
Super Moderator
7,430 Posts
Welcome to the Team Rick.

What are the issues?, the brackets are for the TV cable on the tranny, throttle cable should hook right up to the carb?..

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
You not only need a throttle cable, but a throttle cable stud to match and an adapter to mount it in the big hole as well as a bracket the that bolts to the lower throttle arm so that the 700R4 stud can attach to the throttle arm the correct distance from the throttle shaft (the stud follows an arc and the radius of the arc is critical to the survival of your transmission). the NHRA also requires at least two throttle return springs (Holley will cheerfully sell you a set that meet spec for a nominal fee as well.

Then you have to adjust the TV cable correctly or you can burn up the 700R4 tranny in matter of minutes attempting to drive it without full line pressure.

Finally I would add that you are pushing your luck with a stock 700R4 behind even a 396 big block. Anything bigger (say a 454) and you would most likely will break parts (sun shells or shear off the input shaft).

Big Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts