Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need A pillar moldings for '70 Nova

Hi Everyone! I own a 1970 Chevy Nova, and I currently need A pillar moldings. I would be a millionaire if I could press these parts out in steel. Is there any suppliers?

Thanks for the help!

New or used are fine.

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Welcome to the Team!

Yah but your neighbors wouldn't like you pressing the parts out late at night as it would shake their houses as if it were in an earth quake with every press stroke.

Assuming you use a modern progressive die that blanks, pierces, curls, cold forms, and then cuts off the piece as you feed it from roll stock: instead of using five different dies in five different presses with pancake dies to make the part by feeding the press and stripping it by hand (hard on your hands if you don't time it right). That one five station progressive die could cost you a quarter of a million, not to mention the cost of a 200,000 ton per square inch punch press to cut out and form your part. You of course as a tool a die maker would be responsible for sharpening the die and repairing any erosion utilizing all of the milling and metal forming tools in your complete machine shop.

I know this is a Ford plant but it gives you an idea of how sheet metal car parts are made to build a 1932 Ford Sedan.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...Ford_River-Rouge_automobile-parts_sheet-metal

That million bucks you think you could make will evaporate quickly when you realize the capital outlay to make just one part for a used car that has been off the road for forty years. But it would be nice if we could go down to the corner nation wide discount made in China auto parts store and buy a part, but it would make restoring the car no challenge at all.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Re: Need A pillar moldings for '70 Nova

Hi Everyone! I own a 1970 Chevy Nova, and I currently need A pillar moldings. I would be a millionaire if I could press these parts out in steel. Is there any suppliers?Thanks for the help!
New or used are fine.
I hear that these guys supply a quality re-pop part but they are on the high side. Welcome...Jack

http://www.luttyschevy.com/newcatalogs/1968-79 nova.pdf

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Dave this is an old post, no activity from this first post to today.....Jack

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
I was welcoming Jim who was the one that dredged up this old post two days ago in the hopes of selling something.

I am surprised he has as many old cars while living in Rome (NY, not the better know town in GA thanks to nation wide pizza commercials paid for by Pizza the Hut).

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I am surprised he has as many old cars while living in Rome (NY, not the better know town in GA thanks to nation wide pizza commercials paid for by Pizza the Hut).Big Dave
I got a good laugh out of that comment....Jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts