Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new (well old but new to me) Nova. I am looking at 2 currently. A 1969 Nova and a 1974 nova. I am wondering what is the major differances between the two. What one is recomeended and in all honesty what one looks better. If i plan on putting a new motor and tricking it out what one will fair better. And last as far as collectors corner goes. what car is a better find.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's up to you to decide which one looks better, They'll probably handle tricking out about the same as I believe most of the changes are cosmetic. But I'm sure someone with far more knowlage will be along soon :D

·
Lifetime Premium Member
87 Posts
Nate,

The 69 will be the better to buy. All the major sheet metal if needed
is available except the roof and firewall. The 74 does not have the
1/4s available which is quite common to need. Also in 73 they changed
the bumpers to the larger and set out more type. I have a 73 & 72
and find the 68-72 the more valuable. So the 69 if done well should
be worth more.:)

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
The 1969 will have a higher resale value when both cars are restored to the same level. A lot of people can not get over the big bumpers on the 1973-'74 cars. Both cars share the same suspension parts so there is no difference in power or performance. Only cosmetic differences for the most part, but they crop up in a lot of adds that limit your choice to a 1968-'72 because the trunk floor and gas tank are different.

Big Dave

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Agree with all posted above. I would choose the 1969, to me they look better than the 73-74 ones do anyways. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
938 Posts
The 69 is the better way to go and I like the look of the 68-72 better than the 73-74, but that is just me!

All the major sheet metal if needed
is available except the roof and firewall.

Chuck
The Firewall is available you just have to know where to look! Look under 69 Camaro and the Firewall for it is the same as the 3rd gen Nova. :yes:

I stripped a 68 Firebird and the Fire wall on it measured out identical to my Nova the difference with the 67-68 F-bodies are the actual dash panel. Other wise even their Firewalls will work. Just make sure you order the Non AC or AC version depending on if you have AC or not. The pictures can sometimes throw you off in a magazine cause you may be looking for an AC one and the picture is of non AC firewall or vise versa!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Pick the 1 you like the best. 1/4s are available for the 74s. The front bumper can be changed to a fiberglass 1 to make a big difference in it. I love my 74 because not everyone has them.

·
Lifetime Premium Member
87 Posts
Pick the 1 you like the best. 1/4s are available for the 74s. The front bumper can be changed to a fiberglass 1 to make a big difference in it. I love my 74 because not everyone has them.
Ok I give, where can you get full quarters as my 73 needs them?

Chuck

·
Lifetime Premium Member
87 Posts
The 69 is the better way to go and I like the look of the 68-72 better than the 73-74, but that is just me!

The Firewall is available you just have to know where to look! Look under 69 Camaro and the Firewall for it is the same as the 3rd gen Nova. :yes:

I stripped a 68 Firebird and the Fire wall on it measured out identical to my Nova the difference with the 67-68 F-bodies are the actual dash panel. Other wise even their Firewalls will work. Just make sure you order the Non AC or AC version depending on if you have AC or not. The pictures can sometimes throw you off in a magazine cause you may be looking for an AC one and the picture is of non AC firewall or vise versa!
Not going to believe this but I knew this:) A friend of mine bought one
for his firebird for the toe boards :confused: and found it would work for the Nova.
Seems like the punch out for the steering wheel was a little different if
I remember right.

Chuck

·
Registered
387 Posts
the Paddock lists partials that go about 6 inches or so up for 120. I go to a Racecraft Ill check to see f they can get full quarters. That pic was last winter just after i found this site.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Goodmark lists two different quater skins. Neither is a full quarter. 1 is 20inches tall the other is 26inches. The short one is 110 the taller is 150. Full quaters may not be available but if the demand is there someone will make them.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not going to believe this but I knew this:) A friend of mine bought one
for his firebird for the toe boards :confused: and found it would work for the Nova.
Seems like the punch out for the steering wheel was a little different if
I remember right.

Chuck
My hand measurements came up the same for that even. If you look at a 69 Camaro the steering column mounts up the exact same and is interchangable. The subframe is interchangable, the dash panel is even interchangable. The toe boards could have some difference and if they can not be made to work directly they do make Toe boards for 3rd gen Novas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts