Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So im 16 and currently have about 5000$ saved up. I bought a 69 Nova SS about three years ago from a guy who owned a motorcycle shop for 1500$. The car came with no engine or transmission, currently the car has been sitting around the yard and just recently me and my father began to rip into the car and completely strip it. I just bought new quarters and a trunk floor for it. Got a good deal from the parts warehouse because one quarter was dented and the other had some surface rust (quite the steal cus we got em half price). Right now I have like 3 or 4 engines at my dads house that he had in his 74 when he was a kid ( two 350, 400, 283 i believe there maybe more) I'm planning to drop in a 350 cus it came stock with the car from factory, it light, and supposedly people are telling me there cheap to work on. I have a Super T-10 4 speed Tranny out of a 76 trans am were gonna use (it was cheap and works mint, would've gathered a muncie). Im just look for suggestions as too what i can do to the car to make it quick, light and for not much money. I want to make a good handling pro touring autocross car. If you want any more info let me know. (this is my first thread by the way).

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Bobby!

Get the body sorted out first as even surface rust can grow given time. Once the sheet metal is hanging straight and rust free you can attack the suspension for autocrossing and drag racing (probably need to look at truck arms to do both at the lowest cost). After everything else is ready for some motivation you can think about spending your hard saved money on speed parts (assuming there is anything left). But not to worry a good looking car that can handle well even with a stone stock 350 is going to be a hoot to drive.

Big Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody! I actually have a recent update, 2 years ago I had started taking the car apart after school and only got the interior stripped and then stopped up until now. Back then I didn't know as much as I do now about novas. Well the car was kinda hacked before i got it...the beautiful mint trunk floor was cut with a hole for a racing fuel cell, the seat tracks i had just found had been modified a hair to fit some RCI seats (I'm guessing he was starting to make a drag car out of it) there was racing stickers all over the interior and was painted an ugly orange, luckily he didn't hurt the original back seat that was still in it, he did some other stupid stuff with the wiring harness. But anyways i had just found the seat tracks that came with the car i had taken out and my uncle actually has a set of bucket seats for the car that he had just found which is perfeccttttt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also wanted to ask if anyone has ever put a super t-10 in there nova and if theres a difference in how they fit with the muncie?

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Only big difference is the rear out put shaft is the bigger 32 spline, same front yoke as a TH400. You have the smaller 27 spline TH350/Muncie output shaft now. So you are going to have to take the drive shaft apart to change that over. The length difference should allow the original Muncie drive shaft to fit as the Super T-10 is ¾" of an inch longer than the Muncie.

You will also have to change clutch discs as the Super T-10 has a 26 spline input shaft which is different than the later model Muncie which had a slightly bigger 27 spline input shaft. So you will need to order the later model Super T-10 specific clutch disc out of a Corvette. So changing those two things should about do it (the Supper T-10 has their own rods that are different than the rods used with a Muncie but that is to be expected as every transmission users different rods and linkage with the Muncie having three different sets over it's limited production run.

Once again this assumes you had a Muncie before and not the Saginaw 3 or 4 speed transmission. This is because a Saginaw 3 or 4 speed used a 10 spline 10-½" clutch disc, and the Muncie and Supper T-10 used an 11" clutch disc which has the 168 tooth starter not the smaller 153 inch starter.

Big Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts