Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some odd reason my 1979 Nova has an ashtray, but doesn't have cigarette lighter. There's a place for one to be mounted, but it's not there. There's a black cap plugging the hole. Has anyone else discovered this on their cars? I thought they came standard on cars back then.

I'm not planning to use it for a cigarette lighter, but I do need it to plug my phone charger into. I bought one with a wiring harness at advance. I'm not quite sure as to how to install it though. Does anyone have any advice?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...t-12v-ac741-a-1201/6250132-P?searchTerm=ac741

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The reason is federal laws to reduce cigarette consumption. It was back in the days of surgeon general warnings on cigarette packs and limiting ads on TV and print.

You can run a cylindrical power tap (without the spring mechanism to push out the lighter when it gets hot) with it's one 8 gauge wire and 30 amp in-line fuse by running the wire to the battery and being sure it has a good ground. Or you can by pass the middle man and wire the charger (or USB power port) directly into the car's wiring leaving the USB port flush with the dash.

Big Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the one I bought at advance doesn't have the spring mechanism. It only has one foot of 16 gauge wire with it, though. I just wasn't sure what to wire it to.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The factory wired the Cig Ltr (which was actually for cigars, not cigarettes), at 30 amps and offered a heavy gauge wire to feed it. Your phone charger needs only milliamps; so that wire will handle the load.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Back then a lighter was an option, one of my 75's has one the other like yours with a cap, if you look underneath right behind the ashtray you'll see an orange wire with a plug just hanging there, that is the hot wire for the lighter..

·
Registered
231 Posts
On the picture of the outlet (or what is sometimes called a power socket), I think if you undid the barrel of what you have and remove the right angle bracket, you could then see if the outlet then fits the hole in your car after you remove the block off cap. This might be cleaner than having it underdash BUT it's up to you.

With this part coming with a 16 gauge wire, anything over 20A in my opinion would overload the wire as the gauge is not that large to where it could handle 30A.

What I would do is mount the outlet and then run the wire that comes with it to the fuse block and then after crimping on a 1/4" female flat connector, you can plug into one of the three spots in the middle of the fuse block. These three tabs are protected by neighboring fuses in the fuse block to where if there is an issue, a factory fuse would blow. In using the ports in the fuse block you have the option of the outlet being hot all the time by using the BAT tab or by using the ACC tab to where they outlet is only hot when the key is in the accessory or run position, and then the thrid option is using the IGN tab as this is only hot when the key is in the run and crank position.

Those 1/4" tabs in the fuse block are there for added factory accessories like a rear window defroster, cruise control, and other things, so if it was me I would use them. I used them on my 68 for adding things like an added light on my heater controls and an aftermarket underseat radio.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today was the first chance I've had to install this outlet. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

I unscrewed the barrel and removed the power socket from the right angle bracket. After that, I popped off the cap next to the ashtray. It fit perfectly inside the opening. I couldn't find a preexisting orange wire. It had probably been removed or used for something else by a previous owner. I decided to run the wire to the BAT tab on the fuse box. I wanted to be able to have power to it even when the switch was off. Finding a place to ground it was easy. It works perfectly. The whole project only took a few minutes.

Thanks very much to everyone. I greatly appreciated everyone's input and advice. When you've never done something before, even a simple task can seem overwhelming. My main issue was not knowing where to wire the socket. Special thanks to Custom Jim for your advice on the fuse box. That was exactly what I needed to know to complete this project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts