Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

what is the goal for your project cars

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been doing a lot of dreaming lately about my car and not doing too much work...partially because I've been spending a ton of time looking for work as I am now a card carrying Permanent Resident of the USA and partially because its hotter then the hubs of hell in the garage this time of the year so all my projects are on the back burner...But anyway a few of the threads I have started lately(the thread about heads and the one about building a 396SBC) have got me thinking about how fast to I want this car to be when all is said and done. It will be about 90% street driven with only the odd jaunt to the strip

So here it is...I would love for the car to hit high 11's but realisticly I will be WAY happy if the car hits the mid to low 12's.......but I'll still aim for the 11's:cool:

So what are everyones goal for their project cars?

G

·
thanks for the option i'd most likely wanna see ;)

although i'd still like ta see somewhere in the 12's... i'd think that'd be respectable... doncha think ???

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SHIFTY4 said:
thanks for the option i'd most likely wanna see ;)

although i'd still like ta see somewhere in the 12's... i'd think that'd be respectable... doncha think ???
Hey I was thinking about buddy:D...well IMO hitting the 12's with a street car is pretty darn good in my book;)

I mean dont get me wrong I'm truely hoping it can hit the high 11's but if 12's is what she does I know I would be very happy with that:)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHIFTY4 said:
i'd like ta at least be there so ta speak with the boys runnin' 'round my area...
Well I would think that would put ya in the thick of things...IMO if you get much faster then the 12's you start getting in to the realm of the purpose built cars if you know what I mean;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can say that it's truly an experience "designing" a car setup on paper and then having the results meet (at least partially) your expectations. :hurray:

While my car hasn't completely met my expectations, mostly due to lack of tuning on my part, I know that the car is capable of living up to what I intended it to do when I started planning for my rebuild.

To quote my website, which I started 3 years ago to document this project:

When I'm done, I hope to be able to drive it in town without it overheating or breaking and be able to take it to the local dragstrips for occasional 12-13 second blasts down the quarter at around 110mph. The car is being built to comply with NHRA rules for vehicles with or without slicks running 11.99 or slower.
My initial runs were in the low 14s, very limited by traction. With a bit more traction, I got 13.1s and 103mph out of it. I may never see 110mph, but I'll settle for 103-105. With some more tuning and tweaking, mid 12s are hiding in the car. :cool:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NovatoriusRex said:
With some more tuning and tweaking, mid 12s are hiding in the car. :cool:
sounds like a bad azz street car to me:cool:...looks like you hit your goal exactly:)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think 11.50-12.50 Street Cars are alot of Fun.Also Cheap and easy to build.Easy on Parts.Also run on Pump Gas.
Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
My main goal is daily driver, 20+ MPG would be good,25 would be better. I don't plan on draggin it, just grivin it..:waving:

·
Registered
52 Posts
My goal for this motor is mid twelves or so. I went today and raced my car for the first time and with track temp at 138* and a bunch of street tires tearing up the strip I ran 13.878 @ 100.45 mph.

My RT was right around .25 fairly consistently and all my runs MPH'd around 99-100. I had to leave off idle because I spun so much and the tranny was short shifting at around 4300. My 60's were in the 2.03 range. Definitely some room to improve (need a floor shifter and stickier tires) but I think this setup will make it. That and some practice on the tree.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would like to get into the 12's this year. Ran a 13.35 at 101.5 mph Friday. Spun a little with a 2.00 60 foot time. I am going to get some ideas from the suspension shop on what might help my rear suspension hook up a little better. It's stock now. I have some ideas, let's see what they say. Also going to go with a Lokar throttle set-up from pedal to carb to trans. I hate my TV cable, I know it's holding me from WOT. I will fix those 2 things and shoot for the 12's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
540 ci cad,stripped first gen with a fiberglass front end,300hp nos.hope to hit the high to mid tens,then drive it home.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm looking for something in the mid 12's. I'm looking at HP and torque in the low 400's and that should be enough to get me there. The big problem I'm seeing right now is hooking up! I do not plan on tubbing the wheel wells or rolling the lip so I'll only have about 8" of meat on each side. I'm starting with a stock rear suspension hopefully with a cut down posi 12 bolt truck rearend. After driving it that way for a while I address other things that will need upgraded I will save up and swap in a four link or make it a long winter project and put in a truck arm set up!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Gloryhound said:
I'm looking for something in the mid 12's. I'm looking at HP and torque in the low 400's and that should be enough to get me there. The big problem I'm seeing right now is hooking up! I do not plan on tubbing the wheel wells or rolling the lip so I'll only have about 8" of meat on each side. I'm starting with a stock rear suspension hopefully with a cut down posi 12 bolt truck rearend. After driving it that way for a while I address other things that will need upgraded I will save up and swap in a four link or make it a long winter project and put in a truck arm set up!
Guys are running 8s on 275 drag radials....you can hook if the suspension and chassis are setup well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I keep thinking mid 11s on motor for street car should be fast enough, but my new goal is 10.99 N/A and maybe a 9.99 with a little nitrous help. All while retaining a full interior, all steel body, full exhaust, and driving it to the track.

Gainesville was fun today, although a little hot. I definately had a blast, and love these M/T drag radials :D

Derek

·
Registered
32 Posts
My goal is to hit the 11's N/A and then do some work (paint, interior, etc..) and have a nice 11 second street sunny day driver/occasional trip the the track car. Then maybe I can get around to building a more serious "trailered" drag car.

I still consider mine a "project" until I get there. Then again it's never really done is it.:clonk:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would be happy in the 12's. I'd be happier driving it again.;) I don't intend any more mods to the engine, (at this time) just try to get it to plant what its got.

Don

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
xinloi44 said:
I'd be happier driving it again.;)
Ya me too...just being able to drive it again, no matter what the 1/4 mile ET's are, will be a major milestone

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd like 12's with the new Blue Light Special motor. Maybe some low 11's with more $$$ - bore the block, forged bottom end + nitrous. I bet getting it to hook will be the real fun....

Kev

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
novaboy009 said:
I'd like 12's with the new Blue Light Special motor. Maybe some low 11's with more $$$ - bore the block, forged bottom end + nitrous. I bet getting it to hook will be the real fun....

Kev
Not sure if you have them already or not but I think I see some subframe connectors in your future:)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts