Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
DriveWFO said:
IMO, if yer gonna have a 90% street car, I'd make darn sure it would run a 92-94 octane at the most.

My $.02
I agree fully with that and in reality 92-94 is my goal...the sunoco 100 is a very distant option...and racing fuel is not an option...

BUT I'm going to run as high as I possibly can and still use pump...if its on the edge so be it...the forged are tough enough to take it once in a while...one way or another this puppy will do what I want it to do and be what I want it to be even if it takes a head change and 3 cam changes to get there:)

Discussion starter · #24 ·
SS 396 said:
It will however stay,11.1.Lets get this up to 50 Pages.Is Paul here?
Shheeeettt we dont need Paul to hit 50 pages...heck the "And" thread went well over 1000 posts and I dont think he posted once in it:D

Discussion starter · #28 ·
SS 396 said:
My 402 has Forgrd Pistons,that doesnt bother Me.Detonation will Hammer on the Bottom end also.You will be allright though,just watch the Tuning.
Oh ya it will squash the oil out from between the bearing insert and the journal....not a good thing....Hey life is too damn short and we may as well enjoy it...I tell my wife this will be the last motor I will build.....what I dont tell her is the "until the next time part":D...there will always be motors to build....its just too much fun not too;)

Besides I have some time to make up for as there was years I didnt even look at a motor...so I have to make up for lost time:)

Back to the original question. I would think that if you needed work on the 041's it would be better just to invest the money in some Vortec style heads. If the 041's are all set to go then you could run them until you upgrade.:)

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Repointer said:
Back to the original question. I would think that if you needed work on the 041's it would be better just to invest the money in some Vortec style heads. If the 041's are all set to go then you could run them until you upgrade.:)
I had the 041's gone over in 1991 (new valves, guilds, 3 angle valve job, etc) and they have less then 3000miles on them...they should have a lot of years of service in them...that is where I get wishy washy...they will work and work well and I dont need to spend a dime on them..well maybe new springs and guide seals...but eveything else will cost money...money that could be spent else where and then down the road as you said upgrade the heads

69NovaSS said:
I had the 041's gone over in 1991 (new valves, guilds, 3 angle valve job, etc) and they have less then 3000miles on them...they should have a lot of years of service in them...that is where I get wishy washy...they will work and work well and I dont need to spend a dime on them..well maybe new springs and guide seals...but eveything else will cost money...money that could be spent else where and then down the road as you said upgrade the heads
Hardened seats also? You know my car ran 12.78 with those bone stock 041X's. I was pretty happy with them. Just got to get to the 11's and I think different heads were needed for that. I also get bored if I'm not working on something.:thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Repointer said:
Hardened seats also? You know my car ran 12.78 with those bone stock 041X's. I was pretty happy with them. Just got to get to the 11's and I think different heads were needed for that. I also get bored if I'm not working on something.:thumbsup:
Ya hardened seat too....they really are ready to use except like I said I would redo the valve guide seals and the springs...

I'm like you in that I like to be working on something and fortunately I have another project lined up as soon as this one ends...so I'll be busy for a while :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #39 ·
no...I'm Duane....I use the same user name at Steves too:)

which BTW appears to be back online;)

21 - 40 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.