Shorty headers - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Feb 17th, 20, 10:24 AM

buddyami has a positive reputation
Default Shorty headers

Anyone tried or used Sanderson or other brand shorty headers on a non original v8 small block swap with stock type z bar clutch linkage? (1964 Chevy 2 2dr post)

Last edited by buddyami; Feb 17th, 20 at 10:28 AM. Reason: correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 20, 01:18 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation
Default Re: Shorty headers

Welcome to Team Nova!
Old Feb 17th, 20, 01:23 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Welcome to the Team Buddy!

Two and a half inch inside diameter rams horn cast iron manifolds flow as well as headers do below 4,600 RPM. They do not suffer exhaust leaks the way tubular headers do. They allow you to bolt on an alternator with out making a flimsy mounting bracket that generally bends causing V-belts to throw at high RPM. Finally under hood heat is less as the thicker cast iron manifolds retain the heat (insulate) better than paper thin tubular headers that rust out in a few years. Finally you stand a better chance of passing your car off as a sleeper without a lot of aftermarket parts hanging on it (which is why I paint my aluminum heads and intake Chevy orange after grinding off the name brand and other identifying casting marks).

With an early Chevy II you are right to worry about fitment of the Z-bar and clutch linkage especially if you are not using a Chevy II bell housing or Chevy II block which the factory modified to allow a V8 to fit in place of a four cylinder in an economy car. I can not tell you if the Sanderson cast iron manifold will work as well as the factory one on the SBC as I have never tried it. In my '67 Chevy II I installed a 427 BBC with Hooker two and an eighth inch fender well headers and took a an acetylene torch to anything that got in it's way. Don't recommend a BBC install with a stock front end as you have to cut away more than half of the sheet metal under the hood to get it between the fenders.

Big Dave

Old Feb 17th, 20, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Dave. I do have the correct bell housing with the 7:00 lever hole and correct z bar. Some say the z may be an inch to long when using a non original chevy2 block? Your thoughts about that.
I will look into the cast manifolds. Are they exclusive to the Chevy 2 or are their others thst will fit.

Buddy
Old Feb 17th, 20, 05:28 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

If you do not have a Chevy II block you need a clutch ball adapter that bolts to the bell housing to locate the ball down by the oil pan where it belongs on a Chevy II.

Block side adapter for clutch ball
https://www.nnnova.com/1962-1967-nov...et-p/15017.htm

Frame side bolt in Z-Bar bracket:
https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...SABEgLervD_BwE

The test was done on a 383 SBC destined for '64 Impala by testing 2" cast iron manifolds compared to long tube headers on an engine dyno. I would think all ram horns manifolds are interchangeable (except light trucks and the Corvette which have nothing under the motor because they sit so far back in the frame), but I have no personal experience with getting them to fit. I am sure since so many own 1062-'65 and 1966-'67 Chevy II bodies with a SBC under the hood (when was the last time you even saw a four cylinder Chevy Iron Duke?) who have tried this combination. Though to be truthful most blindly follow the sheep ahead of them in the flock and run headers despite all of the issues.

I had to be convinced that the cast iron manifolds worked as well as I also was mislead by car, mags paid for by Hooker, and Headman, and Cyclone ads.

Big Dave
Old Feb 17th, 20, 05:54 PM

Sounds good to me Dave. When you consider the headaches associated with almost any header I have ever delt with I think I will give them a try if I don't run into any fitment problems.
Maybe someone else here that has tried it will chime in as to what ramhorns will or not fit. Best Regards Big Dave.

Buddy
Old Feb 20th, 20, 06:27 PM
Michael and or

Zspoiler has a positive reputation

I have heard some people use a hydraulic set up in certain applications .Just a thought.
Old Feb 21st, 20, 11:03 AM
Ron

NovaRon has a positive reputation
Send a message via AIM to NovaRon

I now use Sanderson shorty headers on my 69 Nova with a ZZ4 350 engine. I've tried them all, Hookers, Headman, etc and the Sanderson fit and look best, while taking up no more room than the original cast iron manifolds. It's an easy and clean fitment and they do not leak or have bolts vibrate loose like conventional headers.
Old Feb 21st, 20, 11:15 PM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

Church Boys Racing headers fit perfect and do not leak.
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old Feb 22nd, 20, 07:42 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Can't go wrong with CBR..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement