Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Guess I gotta change my signature

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Cador 
#1 ·
Cuz she's got 2 more barrels now! :D

And my mess of a vacuum steup. Still working on that. :eek:

Big change from the way I got it.

I'm not gonna miss that old two-barrel anytime soon.

My detent cable is too short, and I need a new throttle cable, but for now, it's running alot better, start-ups are easier, and I'm hoping the MPG's go up as well.

See less See more
#5 ·
The eBay bug got the better of him, and it sold about a month ago.

His new project is a 73 Chevota Land Cruiser. That's right, a Toyota FJ-40 with a 350 SBC between the fenders. It only improved it's looks :D

#7 ·
Thanks. Rough at the moment, but that's all in the tuning. I'm having a hard time getting the a/f ratio correct. I'm using the vacuum gauge method, but it's hard to tell what the highest reading is. It hovers around 20 hg, but unless I close the mixture screw all the way (which cause a stall) it doesn't really change.

I've got my timing set to 14* BTDC, and my idle speed is slightly high. I think the throttle cable is holding the throttle arm back, and I have no adjustment left in the cable, so I think a new cable might solve that problem. My fuel level is adjusted, and the choke seems to be operating fine, but I know how to adjust it if it takes too long to warm-up.

My detent cable is too short as well, and it has no adjustment left in it, either. Also, when I pull on it, there is no indication that it is actually operating a switch/lever in the transmission. It feels like it is stuck, and there is a sound from inside the housing that seems like frayed cable pulling back and forth. So I figure a new detent cable is in order as well. So I might as well get a new set of Lokar cables and a Lokar bracket to finish it all off. But that's down the road. I don't really need a kickdown right now (passing gear, mainly) because I'm almost never on the highway.

I have plans on cleaning up the motor and bay, but for now, I'm just tired of the tedious start-ups and bog associated with the 2BBL Rochester. That is solved, and I seem to have alot more top-end, but the low-end seems to have suffered a bit, for some reason. I guess it's all in the tuning.

I bought the carb used, and was told the jets are 78 rear and 72 front. I have no idea as to how this effects my motor, so any ideas as to how close that is to what I need? I don't know what size the squirters are, but the pump cam is red, which I assume is stock.

Any other suggestions are welcome guys!

#11 ·
I feel a bit dumb :eek:

I checked the voltage on the wire going to the electric choke, and guess what?

No voltage. Geez, no wonder it's been running so bad. :noway:

I re-tuned it a bit today after work, and it's running better, but I can't seem to get the fuel level down in the rear bowl. Clockwise lowers the float, right? Because I must have turned the nut 15-20 rotations, and it's only gone down 1/16-1/8" :confused:
And when I loosen the screw, fuel sprays everywhere, which it does not do on the front adjustment nut.

Stuck needle, maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.