Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Plasti Dip entire car

17K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  62 NovaWagon 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I did a search on here and haven't seen anything on the topic for the whole car so I'll throw out the question...Has anyone plasti dipped their entire car?

I have a 70 that has been a work in progress for years now. I have it up and running but it really doesn't look all that good. Driver's side is gloss black, passenger door and quarter are new so they are flat black and passenger fender is a maroon color.

I don't have the money for paint right now but I saw some things on plasti dip and it looks like a way to get the car all one color for now and I can paint it later.

Just wanted to see if anyone has used it on a whole car and if there were good results or horror stories.

Thanks guys!

#5 ·
Been thinking about doing that on my 63, the videos sure make it look easy enough to do..

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

How serious have you been "thinking" about it? I'm thinking ofr buying the kit very soon.

The problem is I live in Michigan and I think it will be a while before the temp is warm enough for me to spray the car. Driving in to work today it was -12 and thats degrees F!

#3 ·
They have powder coat rust inhibiting primer you can put on a car that has been recently blasted down to bare metal. They can powder coat any metal any color, but the metal has to be in contact with the electrical wires that attracts the plastic particles to the metal since the plastic sticks to the body through electrostatic attraction (like your socks stick to your pants on a dry cold day with the furnaces blasting heat).

If the plastic can not find a charge it falls off. Don't forget then the part (whole car body or whatever) is stuck in a large oven and baked for two hours at 450 degrees. If you left cookies on the dash they would not only burn they would taste funny from all of the gas given off by the melting plastic. Which makes you wonder what other plastic parts inside a finished car would melt (dash pad, door trim, seat belt holders, shifter boot, ....)

Big Dave

#4 ·
Dave,

This is not powder coating, it is a rubberized paint called Plasti Dip. You spray it on with a HPLV gun or rattle can with little to no surface prep other than making sure it is clean and dry. It dries to a matt finish and the cool thing is, if you don't like it or want to change colors, you just peel it off. They are coming out with pearls and glossifiers and color changing lines now too. Check it out on dipyourcar.com Its pretty cool. There are people that have literally sprayed their entire car without masking and just peeled out the windows and lights. Doesn't hurt the surface below either.

#6 ·
Pretty serious, but before I buy the kit I want to try it on some rims first and a wheel kit is only a few bucks, and if it turns out good then I'll go ahead and get the full kit, figure I'd try it on my 63 it can't look any worse than it does now, LOL..

#7 ·
Thats my therory as well. I'm thinking of doing something like you and rattle canning my emblems on my truck first.

#10 ·
Well, rattle can is never as good as a sprayer even with paint but for small stuff it's ok and a good way to get some practice cheap. From what I gather you can get by with one gallon depends on how thick you want it, also with some colors you need a base coat first or the shade may not turn out right guess the stuff is somewhat transparent that's where the thickness comes in I guess.

#11 ·
The thicker it is te easier it is to peel off too. Being that the car is black now, it shouldn't need to have any transitional base color. Plus if you mask off the car rather than dipping the whole thing and peeling off areas you want exposed, it saves on dip.

#12 ·
Yes it is, I see they have a solution to liquify it if it's too thin to peel. If you do the same or close to the color shouldn't need too much, and I agree on masking can't see blowing the whole car and throw half of it away, watched a video where they did that didn't make sense to me, lol..

#13 ·
Plasti dip is great just have to spray in really thin layers and not get too close. Ive used it alot. It does not just fall off. you really have to work at it to get it off but if you spray it right it will look really good. Also what ive found that works and looks amazing is chalk board paint. I will be spraying my entire car with it look at the difference the fender in the first two pictures is chalk board paint and the rest of the car is plasti dip.

#21 ·
Dip will not hold up on wheels..the brake dust will eat it in a month's time. If you prep and spray a car right(7 coats+)..it will last a year or so, but it is "fun" to clean

I've done several cars with it, and it's completely different than paint. DO NOT USE AN HVLP GUN..it will dry before it gets on the car, and will have the texture of sandpaper.

If it's below 70 degrees or raining out..it will not lay out or stick properly

If you mask off windows or trm/large emblems, trim the lines before you pull the tape

The newer wagner sprayers lay it out real smooth. If you like it and want to keep it, you can clearcoat over it

Removal: never peels off a clean as the videos make it..you will have to run with a microfiber, or use Xylene and wipe it off

This car was black when I started:

#34 ·
I'm going to get 3 gallons. People talk about doing their honda's and it taking 2-3 gallons so I'm gonna get 3 and see how it goes.

I saw a Corvette last week that had been plasti dipped and then removed. He did not mask the car well and there was still plasti dip overspray down in every crack and crevis.

My buddy owns a paint and body shop and said to treat it like a paint. If you don't want it on it, you better mask it off.

I was going to try to mix my own from the thicker stuff to save a little money but decided that the 50 or so I'd save isn't worth it if it doesn't come out good and I have to buy the sprayable stuff anyways.

#36 ·
I'm going to get 3 gallons. People talk about doing their honda's and it taking 2-3 gallons so I'm gonna get 3 and see how it goes.

I saw a Corvette last week that had been plasti dipped and then removed. He did not mask the car well and there was still plasti dip overspray down in every crack and crevis.

My buddy owns a paint and body shop and said to treat it like a paint. If you don't want it on it, you better mask it off.

I was going to try to mix my own from the thicker stuff to save a little money but decided that the 50 or so I'd save isn't worth it if it doesn't come out good and I have to buy the sprayable stuff anyways.

just be careful when taking the tape off cause the dip will bond to it and pull it up. So if you want to use a razor blade and cut on the tape line b4 you pull it up youll save yourself some time from respraying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.